• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Model 30 286

Ruud

Veteran Member
With a bit of luck I will receive a model 30 286 tomorrow. It does have an HDD but I don't know which one. According Wikipedia it can be as big as 40 MB and it will be an ESDI type.

My question: is it possible to replace the original disk with or install a larger IDE HDD or CF card?

Thank you very much in advance?

... But I suspect that you know that. :)
To be honest: no. I never worked with a PS/2 and only received a 30-8086 some weeks ago (unfortunately defective floppy interface) and I hope to receive this 30-286 this afternoon, European time.
I first will see what I get......

With a bit of luck I will receive a model 30 286 tomorrow. It does have an HDD but I don't know which one. According Wikipedia it can be as big as 40 MB and it will be an ESDI type.

My question: is it possible to replace the original disk with or install a larger IDE HDD or CF card?

Thank you very much in advance?
So having a 30-286 for our first computer, I learned all sorts of things about it.

First, the drive is not standard for the time--ours was the 30MB Seagate ST138L I believe. It wasn't the 138A (IDE) or the 138N (SCSI), and it had a large edge card connector on it. We never tried to upgrade this drive as it was terribly cost prohibitive and rare.

So what we discovered was hard cards. Because the the 30-286 was NOT microchannel and still used ISA slots, we could just one of these. But back in the day the Plus hardcards were really expensive.

So we found a company that kinda made their own using a large metal bracket to hold a drive and a host interface card--in our case the Seagate ST-01 SCSI card with a Quantum 200-something MB SCSI hard drive. Because the ST-01 didn't have a bios, it didn't try to be the boot drive, and aside from pressing F1 initially because the configuration changed and then using the system disk to record that change, that was it--the drive worked! We actually installed windows on that new D: drive and left the original 30MB as our boot drive. Later on our 486 had the same arrangement as the 157N drive we used didn't have a way to adjust the SCSI ID so it had to be boot.

And now just writing all this out and wondering where did we get that 50MB ST-157N from, it dawned on me that the 157N was originally installed on that hard card and we upgraded it to the Quantum drive for more storage and because that was a cheaper way to get the storage vs paying for a 200MB+ drive on the card. We also thought that we might be able to swap the boards from the 138L and the 157N and got as far as unscrewing it from the 138L, but couldn't get past moving the board past the spindle so we gave up. Wow, can't believe all this came back...

If I had to do the same thing today and if our original drive was dead (which it sadly may be anyways), I would simply forgo the stock drive, use a scsi card and put a scsi drive in place of where the original one was. But to make it boot you may need the ST-02 because it came with a BIOS to enable booting, and I think now I recall us having one of those too and also putting the 02 BIOS in the 01 and then the card did boot with the factory drive secondary.

If you don't care about being period correct, you could use a sd/cf card to ide to isa solution.

Anyways, hope this helps in your quest to upgrade the drive!

Anyways, hope this helps in your quest to upgrade the drive!
It certainlt did! What I know is that my PS/2 has the 20 MB version: ST125. But the most important information you gave me is that it is possible to install another card with an HDD parallel to the original one. In my case I will try an IDE interface plus CF card. If things work out fine, a collector can have the original HDD. Second thing: I need a system disk. But what do you mean? An Advanced Diagnostic disk or just a bootable disk with utilities like FDISK etc.?

It certainlt did! What I know is that my PS/2 has the 20 MB version: ST125. But the most important information you gave me is that it is possible to install another card with an HDD parallel to the original one. In my case I will try an IDE interface plus CF card. If things work out fine, a collector can have the original HDD. Second thing: I need a system disk. But what do you mean? An Advanced Diagnostic disk or just a bootable disk with utilities like FDISK etc.?
Glad to have helped!

It is possible, but one of the things I do remember from our adventures was that any other interface other than SCSI was out because it would also try to boot and/or would have address conflicts, et al with the factory one. This was the main reason we went with the SCSI solution and why we were suggested to use this particular setup with the ST-01 and the ST157N, which did work. I know I had stacks of research on this--if I ever find all my notes I'll scan them all in and post them up, but I was 13 at the time so who knows how good my notes were. o_O

As far as the disks, I meant the original IBM ones that basically replace going into the bios to set stuff like on a normal PC:

Following on here as I've just got a model 80 286 so will see what treasures await when I power it up.
I'm not sure what the procedure is for powering up such old equipment from an unknown state--anyone have any guidance? I know that you're not just supposed to plug it in and turn it on.

I'd first disconnct the power supply and check for any shorts on the supply rails on the motherboard. The IBM 5150 is well known for tantalum caps that go short. Not sure about the model 30.

Then will check the PSU voltages (Might have to connect some load to get the PSU to start) before connecting to the motherboard and powering up.

I'd first disconnct the power supply and check for any shorts on the supply rails on the motherboard. The IBM 5150 is well known for tantalum caps that go short. Not sure about the model 30.

Then will check the PSU voltages (Might have to connect some load to get the PSU to start) before connecting to the motherboard and powering up.
How would one go about checking those on the 30-286? This will be a great reference when I start restoring ours.

There is also apparently a PS2XT2SD device out there, but I don’t know who makes it:

@IBMMuseum where did you find it?

- Alex
Sorry - I'm not actively watching for messages here. I'm waiting for more details on availability from the designer - a planned change is supposed to cut the price in half. Information should be coming soon.

How would one go about checking those on the 30-286? This will be a great reference when I start restoring ours.
I should be getting mine next week. I'll take some notes and post here.

The PS2XT2SD looks very interesting. Pity it's not open source.

Back