• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Model 4 on the bay

dracos

Experienced Member
Man that is clean looking!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140732007586?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1426.l2649

Got a few questions out to the seller about packing and shipping, and requests for front and rear pics.
Put the first bid in anyway, worst case I drive up to Pittsburgh to pick it up. It'll probably go for higher than I want to pay anyway.
Really I don't need another one, but as far as I can tell, that is pristine! They didn't ship them in that box back in the day did they?
Must have had an outer carton.

No diskette drives, no label on the back. I am wondering if this is some kind of replacement shell?
Interesting and scary at the same time.

They sold cassette-only Model 4s. They were pretty rare but definitely existed. (Said units basically behaved exactly as if they were Model IIIs.)

They didn't ship them in that box back in the day did they?
Must have had an outer carton.

I've got one in the original box, and it's the same as that one.
It's even got a shipping sticker pasted on the outside of the box.
The top of the box says "Save This Carton for Transit", so I'd suspect that's the way they were shipped.

The worrisome thing is the offer of free shipping. This ain't a Beanie Baby.

I know, already talking to the guy about picking it up. Just not sure I have a whole day to make the trip out there, 8+ hours round trip, hmm...
His idea on packaging is taking the unit in the original box and just slipping that into a shipping box. Errrrr... Well I am not going any higher than the 99, and probably shouldn't have done that, it just looks so pristine. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it I guess.

His idea on packaging is taking the unit in the original box and just slipping that into a shipping box.

The model 4 is held in place by the foam inside the box.
With no disk drives, that unit isn't that heavy.
My idea of shipping that thing in it's original pakaging would be to wrap the original box in brown craft paper (and I pack things well too).
A second layer of cardboard on the outside isn't going to do squat if it's dropped.
USPS Parcel Post would get it there fine that way, but if you're worried, have the seller take it a UPS or FedEx and have them pack it for $ 100 - then you'll be sure it arrives OK.

Back