• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Modems!

squirrel-steam

Experienced Member
I don't know if it should be here or in the other section but...

If you need a dial up modem for your computer, but don't know where to get a serial or ISA modem, and you don't want to turn to ebay. You can get them from newegg.com still. I'm pretty sure they are either old leftover stock, or somehow they still make them. But heres some interesting ones.

ISA:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825126102

Serial:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...052810018+1126509664&name=RS-232+(Serial+Port)

The only problem i can see is that some don't come with drivers.

Some of those prices certainly seem a bit on the high side.

But now that I know what they're worth I've just become a little richer...

;-)

Some of us old BBS sysops still have stacks of old USR Courier/V.Everything modems mouldering away. I thought about scrapping mine for parts (they've got EPROMs, SRAM and an 80C188 CPU), but maybe I"ll hang onto them, given the prices.

It seems to me that it'd be pretty easy to find ISA/PCI modems, since they were standard equipment on many name-brand systems for a very long time. Me, I'd never use one. Give me a good external modem any day.

Be careful, if you go for one of the ISA or PCI modems that they're not the dreaded gutless wonder-of-a-piece-of-garbage "Winmodems".

A lot of insurance companies still use dial up services for hospitals, and they were much more expensive in the past so they're still on the books as a current expense (in most cases, damned acounting class) and are hesitant to change. The one I worked at used this huge IBM branded dumb terminal that has been leased since the early 90's.

But those prices are pretty high for those modems for sure.

Some of those prices certainly seem a bit on the high side.

But now that I know what they're worth I've just become a little richer...

;-)

You and me both, Mike.

The only thing I don't have is 56K externals (ok, I have one), but lots and lots of USR 14, 28 & 33s.

Think I even have a couple of 300 baud acoustics around.

Modems can be fun to collect. I have a handful from 300baud to current, and so far they all work. No acoustics, though. Then I would have to buy a phone to sit on top of it with the round speaker/mic handset. Okay, tempting myself again, stopping.

The ones I have will do me for now. What I oughtta go try to find is the rs-232 for the commodores and ataris to use the modems.

Nathan

While I no longer possess any acoustic modems, I did recently acquire a waaay-kewl vintage lineman's handset (aka beige-box to all you old-skool hacksters). Now I'll have to pick up an acoustic (preferably one for the M100).

--T

<snip>
The only thing I don't have is 56K externals (ok, I have one), but lots and lots of USR 14, 28 & 33s.
---
...and you're lucky I hadn't seen this thread/link before I gave ya that NIB 56K...
;-)

Now if you need some 1200,24 or 96s I wouldn't be hard to get along with...

And yeah, I've got one or two acoustics somewhere as well, even the phones to go with 'em...

m

Back