• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Monitor, crt with dual purposes

bettablue

Veteran Member
I am working to set up my vintage computers and the systems they support, In this case, the monitor will be left powered for about 10 to 32KWhat I need is a monitor that will be useful on other systems and devices that I need at least one computer, like a TRS-80 Model 4, and the possibiiity of using other vintage computers which may be someone else’s computers, and systems that in reality, would even think of doing “back iin the day.

So can I use a Commodore 64 monitor with other brands of different systems?

Will the monitor work with computers and devices?

That’s all for today. If I find something that I over thinking something?

Last edited:
A typical monitor that you would use with a Commodore 64 will work with any computer that uses composite video. I don't think there were any made that didn't have a composite input. I could be wrong though; there may have been a model or two that only used component video (like S-Video). But even if there was, it wouldn't be typical.

Many contemporary systems used composite video, and Commodore monitors tend to be better than the others you'll normally encounter.

In my workshop I have a plain composite monochrome monitor, a C= 1084S, and an NEC Powermate Multisync (the early one) between those three I can connect up to just about any vintage computer which comes into my workshop.

In the real world I mainly use the plain composite mono, because its the lightest, and if someone brings in an early VGA system like a 386, 486 or Pent 1 whitebox, I tend to use a small HP 15in LCD VGA which is lightweight.

Ian.

Back