• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

mouse on dos 5

jjzcp

Experienced Member
Hi, i have a 486 with win 3, and dos 5 on it. It came with a microsoft serial mouse, and a logitech ps2 mouse. When i first got it and installed dos, the logetec mouse worked, but now, since i reformated the HD, and reinstalled dos and win3 neather mice work on dos. Do both these mice need drivers? Note that the logitech mouse works on win3.

"MystikShadows" wrote:

> I would suspect you'd have to run the Mouse.com file in your
> autoexec.bat for the mouse to kick in.

Usually when I got Mouse they'd have a driver for them. But what I was really wonderning about, was would the same driver cater for a PS2 mouse & a Serial Port mouse?

CP/M User.

CP/M User said:
"MystikShadows" wrote:

> I would suspect you'd have to run the Mouse.com file in your
> autoexec.bat for the mouse to kick in.

Usually when I got Mouse they'd have a driver for them. But what I was really wonderning about, was would the same driver cater for a PS2 mouse & a Serial Port mouse?

CP/M User.

Yes, the same (MicroSoft) mouse driver recognizes PS/2 or serial mouse automatically.

I think the Logitech mouse needs it's own driver, unless it has a MicroSoft emulation mode available. Either one still needs the MOUSE.COM driver loaded to work under DOS, but Win installs it's own driver.

--T

ok...boot up in DOS, once at the command prompt

C:\

type EDIT C:\autoexec.bat

There, at the end of the file, add:

C:\DOS\MOUSE.COM

Save the file, exit the editor and reboot.

Be sure that the file MOUSE.COM is present on your boot drive (usually in the \DOS or \Windows directory).
Add this line to your AUTOEXEC.BAT file:

C:\DOS\MOUSE.COM

That should do the trick.

--T

OK, I booted up in DOS, once at the command prompt C:\ i typed "EDIT C:\autoexec.bat". Then i typed "C:\DOS\MOUSE.COM", but that didn't work.

I also looked for the mouse.com file, and there is none, there is only a mouse.drv. What am i doing wrong?

jjzcp said:
OK, I booted up in DOS, once at the command prompt C:\ i typed "EDIT C:\autoexec.bat". Then i typed "C:\DOS\MOUSE.COM", but that didn't work.

I also looked for the mouse.com file, and there is none, there is only a mouse.drv. What am i doing wrong?

Where is the Mouse.DRV located (which directory tree?).

As for Mouse.Com, you will need the Logitech drivers for DOS. Windows SHOULD work with the Logitech serial drivers provided with Windows. All you need is the mouse.com file, which can be found at driverguide or wherever. If not, I'll see if I can upload my old old old driver diskette that I have (I have one of the old 3 button Logitechs from the 8088/286 days).

To load it you can either type mouse.com or load it from the Autoexec.bat.

MOUSE.DRV is strictly a Win9x file that won't work under DOS alone. You aren't booting to a real DOS disk, you're using DOS mode under 9x, right? You need to get a copy of MOUSE.COM and boot clean from a real DOS disk to use it.

--T

Mouse. what?

Mouse. what?

I thought it was mouse.sys ?
My system is useing mouse.sys anyway but it could have been installed by the the other owner.....

Re: Mouse. what?

Re: Mouse. what?

vlad said:
I thought it was mouse.sys ?
My system is useing mouse.sys anyway but it could have been installed by the the other owner.....

Yeah, mouse sys works too, especially with older versions of DOS. Mouse.sys is loaded as a device driver in your config.sys file, but mouse.com is a stand-alone program that can be run at any time in command mode, or run from autoexec.bat just like any other program.

--T

HI.
First off i am going to reply to mad-mike. The mouse.drv file is located at c:\windows\system\mouse.drv. Also i will look or the mouse.com file on the internet.

Now to Terry. How can the mouse.drv file be strictly win9x, because it got installed when i installed win 3. Also note that i am running win1, win3, and dos on my 486.

Now Thrashbarg. Thanks, i have installed it to a floppy, and load it when ever i want to use Dos. I haven't installed it on the hard drive, or put it in autoexec.bat because if i load ctmouse then win 3 win3's mouse driver doesen't work, and thus my mouse doesen't work, and i have to restart.

jjzcp said:
Also i will look or the mouse.com file on the internet.

That would be a good idea.

jjzcp said:
if i load ctmouse then win 3 win3's mouse driver doesen't work, and thus my mouse doesen't work, and i have to restart.

Damn, is this Windows 3.0 or 3.1? I doubt the developers of cutemouse would test their driver on Windows 3.0.

jjzcp said:
HI.
First off i am going to reply to mad-mike. The mouse.drv file is located at c:\windows\system\mouse.drv. Also i will look or the mouse.com file on the internet.

Then yeah, what Terry Yaeger said, that's the mouse driver for Windows 3.0. That does not apply to getting it to work in DOS.

I've had a few times where I've had to mess around with the IRQ and Memory Address of the serial ports to get older serial mice working, sometimes you could not get one to work without disabling one port. Apparently I come into possession of quite a few buggy serial port cards, as sometimes they work when the settings conflict, then stop working when they dont.

I have a serial mouse driver disk if you need to borrow it.

I used to have an experimental approach to this kind of problem.

Alter your autoexec.bat to not go into WIN 3.0 upon boot, and run dos shell instead. Is there a working mouse at this point? if not, you need to address that problem first.

I assume your config.sys is OK? What messages appear just before autoexec.bat is run? DO you have himem running?

You may try adding this command to your autoexec.bat:
attrib c:\directorywithmousedriver\;c:\dos

Also, you can turn off "@echo off" by placing "REM " in front of it, and in doing so see all of the commands that are part of autoexec.bat as they run/post results on the screen. You can use the pause command in between each line of the autoexec.bat to catch everything.

Maybe the com port is changed when windows loads, and that's why mouse does not run after windows loaded.

I am a little rusty, so if you try any of this, please be sure you can put things back the way you had it.

I just tried something last night that might be helpful and useful as I was setting up my GEM 286. I found that I had full mouse support through Windows 3.0 if I had the DOS driver loaded. So that may be part of the Windows trouble might just be that the mouse is not loaded into memory, and therefore, Windows looks for it to pull up the driver, and finds nothing.

Back