• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Moving

Erik

Site Administrator
Staff member
My wife and I are buying a bigger house across town (we hope) and as of Thursday much of my collection is being moved into storage for a while.

The prospect of moving has me a bit nervous but the prospect of trusting others to package and move my collection terrifies me. . .

They aren't touching my "top-end" stuff (mostly the Altair's and associated gear) mainly because I want to continue to play with it, but they will be handling some fairly rare and delicate items.

I just thought I'd share! :shock:

Erik

First casualty

First casualty

BAH!

I dropped an Apple III external disk drive while relocating it for packing and cracked the drive door. Now I have to go find a parts drive to fix this one, assuming the plastic is all that I broke.

@^@$^&@$%!@#!@^!&(I()*&$%! :evil:

Erik

Re: Moving

"Erik" wrote in message:
> My wife and I are buying a bigger house across town (we hope)
> and as of Thursday much of my collection is being moved into
> storage for a while.

> The prospect of moving has me a bit nervous but the
> prospect of trusting others to package and move my
> collection terrifies me. . .

> They aren't touching my "top-end" stuff (mostly the
> Altair's and associated gear) mainly because I want
> to continue to play with it, but they will be handling
> some fairly rare and delicate items.

> I just thought I'd share! :shock:

That sounds quite a big task you've got there & almost
a month ago, you were setting up message boards on
the internet! ;-)

But I suppose that's nothing! :)

Cheers.

Re: First casualty

Re: First casualty

"Erik" wrote in message:

> BAH!

> I dropped an Apple III external disk drive while
> relocating it for packing and cracked the drive
> door. Now I have to go find a parts drive to fix
> this one, assuming the plastic is all that I broke.

<profanaties snipped!!>

Oh dear, bad luck I guess. How big is San José
if you don't mind asking? And (if you don't mind
me asking) is San José anywhere near San
Francisco?

Cheers.

Hi Eric and CP/M user.Eric that is quite a big job -moving.Man I'm sorry you dropped your external drive to your Apple III.That has got to hurt.
2 years ago I saw a Apple III at a thrift store but stupidly I didn't pick it up.I hear that an Apple III is rarer than a LISA now.
Hi CP/M user-I believe that San Jose is located in San Fransisco.

"Jon Jarmon" wrote in message:

Hi Jon,

> Hi Eric and CP/M user.Eric that is quite a big job
> -moving.Man I'm sorry you dropped your
> external drive to your Apple III.That has got to
> hurt.

> 2 years ago I saw a Apple III at a thrift store
> but stupidly I didn't pick it up.I hear that an
> Apple III is rarer than a LISA now.

Sadily the story I've read (which I think is true)
was when the Apple III initially came out there
was a serious bug with it. Apple had to recall the
computer & when they did re-release it, many
computer manufacturers had released something
as powerful as it & cheaper. The Apple III flopped
in that regard. But I still believe it is a good
machine, which unfortunately was unsuccessful
due to this fault.

> Hi CP/M user-I believe that San Jose is
> located in San Fransisco.

I've always thought that if I wish to visit
America I would be tour around San Fransisco.
Well 9/11 (or as we say here 11/9) I suppose
inspired people to go to Ground Zero, but
would have been too much for me to do (seeing
it on telly was enough). Perhaps if I did had
visited the WTC before that day, then I would
have felt more needed to return. Going back to
somewhere I've been & seeing change is a big
thing with me.

Cheers.

Yes I think that the Apple III was a big flop.The components corroded after time and Since ther was no fan in the Apple III the heat over time
would pop out socketed components(That what I heard about it).
It was supposed to be Apples business computer rather than a hobbiest computer the same way the LISA was developed as a high end business machine and the Macintosh was for hobbiest enthusiasts.Man I sure missed out on that Apple III in the thrift store.Who knows maybe a Profile hard drive was in the thrift store too at the time.

San Jose is about 60 miles south of San Francisco. Both cities are considered part of the Bay Area (along with Oakland, etc.)

The Apple ///'s original problem was with socketed components unseating themselves. Once that was fixed, they were simply not the best machine in the space and were too expensive for the power they offered.

I'm pretty sure I can fix my drive, but it still bums me out. . . :cry:

Erik

"Erik" wrote in message:

> San Jose is about 60 miles south of San Francisco.
> Both cities are considered part of the Bay Area
> (along with Oakland, etc.)

So if I calculated this correctly that's roughly 97
kilometers from San Francisco. That's a fair way.

I'm in one of the outer suburbs from the city which
is approx 40 kilometers (that's about 25 miles)
away.

> The Apple ///'s original problem was with socketed
> components unseating themselves. Once that was
> fixed, they were simply not the best machine in the
> space and were too expensive for the power they
> offered.

I remember reading something about it being the
hardware. I believe that there was a hard drive for
it too & some other type of disk media which was
compatable on the Apple III & the Lisa.

Cheers.

Hi Jon,

> Yes I think that the Apple III was a big flop.The
> components corroded after time and Since ther
> was no fan in the Apple III the heat over time
> would pop out socketed components(That what
> I heard about it).

Yes, the problem was with the hardware, but it was
more of a noticed straight away problem (from what
I believe).

Cheers.

> Sorry Eric.I must have confused Mountain View
> with San Jose.

Well, it's still around that neck of the woods! :)

Perhaps an outer Surburb of San Francisco I
suppose you could say.

Cheers.

Jon Jarmon said:
Sorry Eric.I must have confused Mountain View with San Jose.

It's all part of the same area. Mountain view is 4 towns up (about a 15 minute drive with moderate traffic.)

My office is in Mountain View. . . :)

Erik

Apple ///

Apple ///

The last Apple /// I saw come up on eBat sold for $42.00 US. The last one before that one sold for around $400.00 US, so at least we have a range of what thier value might be...anywhere from 40 to 400 bucks.

Apple ///

Apple ///

The last Apple /// I saw come up on eBay sold for $42.00 US. The last one before that one sold for around $400.00 US, so at least we have a range of what thier value might be...anywhere from 40 to 400 bucks.
-T

Yeah. eBay is so very wierd that way. I've seen the same exact system go for order of magnitude price differences before.

I've seen Commodore Pets (original chicklet style) go between $125 and $800 regardless of condition.

I've seen Altair's go for $1200 or so to $3500 or so without any obvious reason for them to be cheaper or more expensive.

Timing has something to do with it (summer is eBay's slow time and bargains are there to be had from time to time).

Descriptions/photos have something to do with it.

But basically, it's mostly luck. . .

I'm pretty sure I can fix the drive door if that's all that broke. I've got one or two busted Disk ][ drives around that have working doors. If not, Wierd Stuff in Sunnyvale usually has the drives, even if they are just about guaranteed to be broken.

Erik

Yeah, my latest bit of luck from eBay was that I bid on and won a 4gb hdd, but when it came it turned out to be a 6gb instead. Nice to get more than ya bargained for...

Hi Eric there are plenty of good working Apple ][ Disk ][ drives up here in Tacoma WA in the thrift stores.I have 2 of them myself on a Apple 2 E.
I never knew they were so hard to obtain.

Erik said:
Yeah. eBay is so very wierd that way. I've seen the same exact system go for order of magnitude price differences before.

A few years ago, I listed a couple of books that I had no use for. They sold originally for ~$10 so I listed each at $1.00 and hoped for $2 or $3 (plus postage)

One sold for $65 and the other for $70 to the same guy!!! I printed my listings and sat staring at them for a while. To this day I don't know why they were so valuable. Also, there have to be two desperate bidders to raise the price that high. Had there been only one bidder he would have paid $1, I had another copy of one book so offered it to the #2 bidder for his bid price but never heard from him. I later sold it for $5 or so. Go figure.

Moving

I moved here in September and had to LEAVE most of my stuff with my family in Tennessee. They no whave it stored in a drafty woodshed and I am sure it's pretty bad off now, even though I have pleaded with them to at least wrap the stuff in plastic. The things I miss most are my MacPlus and my Mac 1MB and all of the accessories for them. Mostly it was a bunch of 386 and below, but there were some interesting parts and pieces, too. Macs are tough little beasts though, I might be able to get them workign agian if I can ever get back to them, heh heh.

I got a deal on a Toshiba laptop, $51 for a 100CS, plus dock, good battery and extra mouse. Now I see the same machine with no dock and no extra anything for about $100.

Back