• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

MPI 360k won't read/write

I tried running the IMD alignment check... I'm not really sure how to read it but comparing to reading in the good drive, they both make the same beep pitch, similar numbers etc.

Without special setup, there is not much else you can do. The head alignment usually only aligns one head, assuming the other head was right to start.
Dwight

IT WORKS

I did three more things after using IMD to adjust the RPM to +/- 300:

1) Backed off the screws holding the upper head assembly, and pushed it as far back as I could, as I could see there was a tiny bit of play there.
2) Torqued the head (gently) to the left. It had been torqued too far to the right originally.
3) Did as suggested and with the disk out very carefully eyeballed the two heads into visual alignment with some left/right lateral adjustment. It's very hard to do because the spindle is in your line of vision, but I got an angle that worked.

I fired up, bang! Reads disks from other drives, writes them, other drives read what it wrote ok! Initially I didn't think it was working, but apparently the MPI drive is much quieter than the Tandon.

First time in probably decades that drive has worked! Thanks so much to everyone, as usual, for making suggestions.

And now I remember why I put it away years ago - it has the MDA... can't really do a ton with that. :)

Back