• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My 8m passes the Chess.bin test....I didn't!

AteEm

Experienced Member
Well, after fixing a few issues with my 8m after it's 5 year hibernation and successfully running diagnostics I decided to have a little 'fun.'
I downloaded Chess from bitsavers and, after figuring out I had to strip off garbage at the beginning of the 'tape' in order to load it without a checksum error, I proceeded to quickly get my butt kicked!
Not that I'm much of a chess player, but I find it pretty impressive that a 4K program is capable of even playing chess!
Now, enough fooling around, I've got to get that RL8A moved over from the 8a if I ever hope to get TSS8 running:D

Ha :) Awesome. What era is the 8m then? Should find another system for a competition. I need to test out MicroChess for the Kim-1 some time.. probably just test it on my MicroKim if my cold solder joints aren't too bad.

Ha :) Awesome. What era is the 8m then? Should find another system for a competition. I need to test out MicroChess for the Kim-1 some time.. probably just test it on my MicroKim if my cold solder joints aren't too bad.

S/N tag shows a 1974 build. To be honest though, I'm not sure of the pedigree of all the cards inside; some seem a bit older, another has a 1978 sticker on it. Safe to say everything is from the '70s!

It would be interesting to put Chess.bin up against the unix v7 chess program running on an 11/34 or thereabouts...

It would be interesting to put Chess.bin up against the unix v7 chess program running on an 11/34 or thereabouts...

Just let me know if you've got that up and running and we can either post the moves back and forth here, or I can PM my email.

Given the available AC in my computer room, I can't swear my 11/34 will stay cool long enough for a full game; it would probably overheat. V7 chess was not known for running fast. In fact, back in the late 70s we entered an 11/45 in the Saskatchewan Open chess tournament. It won one game, and lost 3 on time violations.

I can, however, let my 11/73 run continuously, and it would obviously play the exact same game, if faster.

There seems to be enough audience to pick a start time. How does Sunday at high noon (Est) sound ;-)

The V7 chess program uses algebraic notation, and can print out a board representation after every move. I think we should post each move here, and I'll include a printout of the board after each unix move.

How shall we determine who plays white? The old hands-behind-the-back method isn't going to work -:)

I respectfully request that the game commencement be postponed to a non-Superbowl day.

No advice on a method for choosing white.

P.S. - If you want to slow down the 11/73 to make the game more "fair" - you can disable CPU cache via Micro-ODT and proceed.

Given the available AC in my computer room, I can't swear my 11/34 will stay cool long enough for a full game; it would probably overheat. V7 chess was not known for running fast. In fact, back in the late 70s we entered an 11/45 in the Saskatchewan Open chess tournament. It won one game, and lost 3 on time violations.

I can, however, let my 11/73 run continuously, and it would obviously play the exact same game, if faster.

There seems to be enough audience to pick a start time. How does Sunday at high noon (Est) sound ;-)

The V7 chess program uses algebraic notation, and can print out a board representation after every move. I think we should post each move here, and I'll include a printout of the board after each unix move.

How shall we determine who plays white? The old hands-behind-the-back method isn't going to work -:)

Well, I have not been able to find much in the way of instructions for my chess program, which was downloaded from bitsavers where it was merely named chess.bin. The only 'instructions' explained that the moves were to be entered as four digit numbers, e.g. 4142, the first pair being the starting location, and the second the new location. 0000 was lower left corner of white's side. Other than the starting address of 5000, nothing else!
So, my point is, I need to be white as the program, when started, immediately makes the first move!:crazy:
Unless, of course, someone can provide instructions on how to change who moves first!
Also, I have no idea how to castle, or if it will promote pawns.

I'll wait for the football fans to post the start date!

Mike

I was not aware I could disable the 11/73 cache from ODT. What's the method?
Set bit 9 "Unconditional Cache Bypass" (001000 octal) in the Cache Control Register 17777746.

Procedure - Boot the system normally. Then HALT the CPU to invoke MicroODT. Read the CCR, add 001000 to it's value and deposit the result back to the CCR.

Then hit P (proceed).

Testing should confirm a considerable reduction in processing power. The precise amount will depend on the CPU clock rate, the kind of memory in your system and the cache hit-rate of one's software. Based on DEC targets of an 82% hit rate or better - one can expect at least a 50% reduction on most systems. Those with slow memories can see more of a handicap - our 11/34 for example would lose 2/3 of it's performance when it's CACHE died.

Set bit 9 "Unconditional Cache Bypass" (001000 octal) in the Cache Control Register 17777746.

Procedure - Boot the system normally. Then HALT the CPU to invoke MicroODT. Read the CCR, add 001000 to it's value and deposit the result back to the CCR.

Then hit P (proceed).

Testing should confirm a considerable reduction in processing power. The precise amount will depend on the CPU clock rate, the kind of memory in your system and the cache hit-rate of one's software. Based on DEC targets of an 82% hit rate or better - one can expect at least a 50% reduction on most systems. Those with slow memories can see more of a handicap - our 11/34 for example would lose 2/3 of it's performance when it's CACHE died.

Most interesting; I, too, had no idea cache could be disabled on an 11/73. Thanks for posting that.

As far as our upcoming chess match, does it really matter if the 11/73's cache is disabled? I mean, I didn't think we were awarding points for 'blitz mode':p

FWIW, my 8m takes between 1 and 2 minutes per move.

The desirability of having CACHE enabled is rightfully up to the contestants. I was merely answering a perceived call to level the playing field.

So how does one pose such a question to an PDP-11/73 or a PDP-8?

"Would you mind if we temporarily lobotomized you to handicap for a game against a 12-bit machine?"

My expection would be "command not recognized" or some other similar response. (there were a few times I would swear there could be another answer entirely - be let's not delve into the dark side) I therefore propose we leave it to the proxies of the contestants.

I for one would not mind the added suspense of a protracted game.

snip...

So how does one pose such a question to an PDP-11/73 or a PDP-8?

"Would you mind if we temporarily lobotomized you to handicap for a game against a 12-bit machine?"
LOL!

snip...I therefore propose we leave it to the proxies of the contestants.
Speaking as the representative of the '12-bit machine' I'm good with the 11/73 running with a fully functioning brain:mrgreen:

I for one would not mind the added suspense of a protracted game.
Well, at a couple of minutes a move, my 8m should provide all the protraction we need!

Hi All;
I am unclear -- "Would you mind if we temporarily lobotomized you to handicap for a game against a 12-bit machine?" Is this for the Machine itself, Or for the Owner of the machine ??
THANK YOU Marty

Back