• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

my IRC client is ready

On my XT it gets stuck on the "connecting to #room" line. It would be interesting to see if it is just me!

On my 386 DX40 it is very fast, no problems there. Hope to see you all online some time :)

I have solved the problem now - it was my network card!

I transferred the card to my 8MHz Amstrad 8086, and the same freezing would happen. However, I have no swapped in a WD8003E with an RJ45 transeiver connected to the AUI port and it works a treat in both LeetIRC and Webserv!

Now I will have to see if it will work with the WD8003E card in my XT :)

I have solved the problem now - it was my network card!

I transferred the card to my 8MHz Amstrad 8086, and the same freezing would happen. However, I have no swapped in a WD8003E with an RJ45 transeiver connected to the AUI port and it works a treat in both LeetIRC and Webserv!

Now I will have to see if it will work with the WD8003E card in my XT :)

sorry, i must have missed the post you made before this one! i would have responded before if i saw it. glad you got it working!

if the speed is bearable on your XT let me know, maybe my VGA card is just to blame in my XT clone or something but it's ridiculously slow. you can see what i mean if you search youtube for: 8088 irc :eek:

Unfortunately my XT is out of service for the moment, as the PSU fan is making horrible sounds. Once I replace the fan, I'll report back.

However, I did manage to get this working on my 5150 with the 5151 monochrome display! However, that was by using a Hercules card and not the standard IBM Black/White Parallel card. The screen rate is slow, but it is bearable once you are logged in!

I even took a photo ;)

leetirc.jpg

Unfortunately my XT is out of service for the moment, as the PSU fan is making horrible sounds. Once I replace the fan, I'll report back.

However, I did manage to get this working on my 5150 with the 5151 monochrome display! However, that was by using a Hercules card and not the standard IBM Black/White Parallel card. The screen rate is slow, but it is bearable once you are logged in!

I even took a photo ;)

leetirc.jpg

sweet! lol, i must have missed this post last month. that's cool. glad you are having fun with the program! :p

i'm actually adding a feature to it where you can start it with a command line option like:

LEETIRC /MONO

and it will run very very fast and with any video card (right now the POKE's are hard coded to write to base B800h). i've been messing with that a bit on my new XT clone with a monochrome video card. i am just having it completely strip out color data with that option, and write things to the screen with PRINT's rather than POKE's. :p

<sarcasm> gotta love QB </sarcasm>

Hello,

did you ever think about ANSI color code sequences?

There is a nice small ANSI driver available at http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha/hs_freeware/ansi.zip (including source code).
It does not feature keyboard control, only screen colors and takes less than 1 KB of memory. And, of course, it can be loaded high. :)

In my opinion, using ANSI colors would be easier for you, maybe even a bit faster.

But - wow - nice work to write an IRC client for DOS!

Regards,
Sebastian

Some New Pics and Antiquated Dosbox Action

Some New Pics and Antiquated Dosbox Action

Well, now my IBM XT 5160 8088 is running it, and it's not much slower than the 286 (probably because of the fast EGA/VGA dual card and the SCSI Hard Disk, as opposed to an ST-506/412 interface drive and a bone stock CGA/Hercules/EGA card). Actually, it's quite good on my machine. Here's some pics. So it definatley gets my seal of approval.

lirc2.jpg

LIRC.jpg

Well, now my IBM XT 5160 8088 is running it, and it's not much slower than the 286 (probably because of the fast EGA/VGA dual card and the SCSI Hard Disk, as opposed to an ST-506/412 interface drive and a bone stock CGA/Hercules/EGA card). Actually, it's quite good on my machine. Here's some pics. So it definatley gets my seal of approval.

lirc2.jpg

LIRC.jpg

very cool! :D

glad you likey. yeah i determined that the reason i thought it was so horribly slow turned out to be the VGA card in my XT. for some reason its glacial on it, but if i pull it out and stick in a mono card it's very fast and i have no problems.

did you get a chance to try the DCC file receive? i'm proud of that part, this is the only DOS IRC client in existence that i know of that handles it. i am thinking of adding DCC send too.

Back