• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need Kermit for Xerox 820-II!

Hey folks!! I can't believe it's been over 10 years since I've been on here.o_O I still have the Xerox 820-II, although I haven't had it running in several years. If I can get some of the clutter resolved in my back room, I'll try to dig it back out, and fire it up! Hopefully it will still post.. we all know how old capacitors and such can be. Maybe I should get a variac and just bring the voltage up slowly to get everything used to having power again? I've heard of others doing this and it seems to take the shock load off the components.

I've been pretty sick the last few years with heart and lung issues. Had to retire early, and just living on Social Security and the occasional light computer repair. It sucks to get old!😝

Dave Land

Good to see you're still around Chuck (and tradde)! I've been reading back through some of my old threads, and it's incredible how much things change in 10 years! A lot of water under the bridge, and I'm going to have to relearn a lot of stuff that I knew then, in order to get that machine back up and running. I'll probably have to enlist the neighbor kid to help me get it out on the kitchen table where I can see everything!🤣

From the online pictures of this system it looks really nice. I have never seen one. Good luck in making it work again.

I use the 8" drive box for a couple of my drives. Still works fine, but with Siemens double-sided ones.
Before the 820 came along, I had some co-worker friends who had worked at Diablo. At lunch one day, we went over to the Diablo building, about when Xerox was still trying to figure things out and had a look at a couple of the never-marketed (AFAIK) Diablo 8080 desk-sized systems intended for business. I think they were called the "Merchant". Lotsa years ago.

Back