• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

need some help on a 8088

Hello everybody

I have made some futher test since i recieved the new controller card.

disk-scan-haedware-adressing.jpg

So results are that both controller cards are ok.

Next step was to try Norton disk doctor but no luck with this one : drive is reconiced but un able to read partition table or anything else.
I also tried spinrite but this programm need that the dos partiiton is readable so nothing to do here.

TS-HD-analyse.jpg

Did you disable the bios (jumper w3) on the WD1002-27X when you put it in the k6 board? The WD1002-27X is a dual XT/AT card that should work in at systems, although the K6 system is likely to be more problematic than say a 386.

I tried every possible combination to get the drive work near the ide drive ( disable bios on wd controller, disable motherboard controllers enter right CHS infor for drive to mother board controller) nothing helps, computer hags on black screen.

This situation does not allow me to do a DD image with freedos if someone has any idea to get both drives work on same mother board this would be helpfull.

So the only thing i was able to do was to having the WD drive (with its on controlle and bios) work on the K6 board an boot computer from 1,44 dikette.
with this new option i was able to start Test disk "by crhistophe grenier":

with returned all partitions are unreadable :

testdisk.jpg

My second option was Photorec from same author :

photorec.jpg

For now (process still running) it recovers about 385 files all .txt files (i dont know what it really recovers)

If someone Know about a good data recover software for dos ? I tried get databack but as i'm not able to start on my IDE drive with the MFM/RLL WD drive as second hard disk i was not able to try this option.

Kind regards an thank you all for your time and kind help :)

I wonder if one head is bad. Really though you want to use the drive as little as possible, just run a dd with the ignore error flags set to get a full surface image, then we can analyse offline. But most likely the executables are gone.

Notice in the first photo it doesn't list any errors for head 2, skipping from 1 to 3 (unless it is doing things out of order, or skipped, but I wouldn't expect that). An interesting test would be to use Norton Diskedit and directly open any single sector on head 2.

That would explain why that second tool is finding something, yet the drive looks totally dead.

Hello

just a little up :

I created a dos 6 boot diskette 1.44 with USB support :
I was able to get about 500 files back from the disk (only .txt files) sorting reports:

Then i tried a DD image and at about 90% of the process The disk sudenly dissapeard. I rebooted the machine and he was back again.
At this point i decided that it would be better to get this to a data recovery expert !
Waiting for news ....

Kind regards

Back