• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Network 4 card?

dlightman

Experienced Member
I've never seen a picture of one but based upon description I think this is a Network 4 card (Corvus Omninet):

ZpedV5y.jpg

PXJkTwl.jpg

Larger pictures here: https://imgur.com/a/2bLKMcQ

Last edited:
You are correct, sir! Network 4 for Corvus Omninet. Nice find. These are rare.

Can someone explain what those two ridiculous wing nut lugs are for?

Just looking at the circuit I'm thinking thats where the thick network cable tied in. This was similar in physical topology to thicknet, well thinnet if I understand the catalogs description of the cables and accessories for Network 4.

I'd love to see one working.

Ohhhhhh. I see it now. The lugs go through a piece of plastic with two wire channels. You put the wire in the channel, tighten down the wing nut and like a 300 ohm termination metal spikes dig through the insulation and contact the wire inside. That's even more ghetto than a 10Base 5 vampire tap.

I'm oddly intrigued by that wing nut network. Maybe Ian could be persuaded to make us new Network 4 cards?

I'm oddly intrigued by that wing nut network. Maybe Ian could be persuaded to make us new Network 4 cards?

I don't know, that middle chip with the Corvus label might be hard to source. Anyone know what it is?

I bet it would be made of unobtanium by now! If anybody actually took my silly suggestion of making new cards seriously, then I think they would have to design a new implementation from scratch. I won't hold my breath, but here's some technical information about OMNINET:

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/...ormation_OMNINET_Local_Area_Network_Oct84.pdf

If I had some original working Network 4 hardware with nothing for it to talk to, I'd feel tempted to build a drive server emulation around something like a BeagleBone.

So far I've located the Network 3 software but nothing for 4. I've been reading about its implementation and like the Network 1, 2, and 3 it seems all have primarily been used in a teacher / student type scenario. Eventually it was all replaced by SchoolMate via ethernet which is another piece of software currently lost to time.

If I can find another Network 4 card for the III/4 or HX/EX and the software I'd give it a go.

So far I've located the Network 3 software but nothing for 4. I've been reading about its implementation and like the Network 1, 2, and 3 it seems all have primarily been used in a teacher / student type scenario. Eventually it was all replaced by SchoolMate via ethernet which is another piece of software currently lost to time.

If I can find another Network 4 card for the III/4 or HX/EX and the software I'd give it a go.

If you're coming to Tandy Assembly, maybe I'll bring a Model 4 with Network 4. I picked it up last year and it came with a hard drive which I am hoping has the Network 4 software. I have yet to interrogate the drive.

But, I promised myself to simplify my TA exhibits so that I can spend more time enjoying the show.

If you're coming to Tandy Assembly, maybe I'll bring a Model 4 with Network 4. I picked it up last year and it came with a hard drive which I am hoping has the Network 4 software. I have yet to interrogate the drive.

But, I promised myself to simplify my TA exhibits so that I can spend more time enjoying the show.

Wasn't that one in Nevada on ebay? I vaguely remember a Model 4 like that.

I plan to go but I don't have a working M4 at the moment. I can bring the card if there will be another M4 to try it out in.

I just received these:

Network 4 - 1.jpg

One of the boards is missing the network cable connector but that shouldn't be too hard to recreate if I ever feel the urge to set them up.

I'm guessing J4 connects to the Model 4 I/O bus. If so, did the cable snake back up through the case?

Does anyone have pictures showing these installed in a Model 4?

I have the set of cables that connect to the "burgundy" colored connectors but so far nothing on how to actually hook them up. I'll post a picture of them in the morning.

I just received these:

View attachment 46131

One of the boards is missing the network cable connector but that shouldn't be too hard to recreate if I ever feel the urge to set them up.

I'm guessing J4 connects to the Model 4 I/O bus. If so, did the cable snake back up through the case?

Does anyone have pictures showing these installed in a Model 4?

I have a couple of 4Ds with these installed. I'll have to check once Field Day is over.

I have a couple of 4Ds with these installed. I'll have to check once Field Day is over.

According to the sheet on the Model2Archive there is a different ROM C for the Network 4 as well.

I have a Network 4 adapter for Mod 3 and have been searching for the Network 4 software - so far to no avail. I did chase down one of the folks who developed it for Tandy. He claims to have the diskettes, but I cannot convince him to follow through and copy them :-(. Can someone with Network 4 (and documentation?) please consider making images / scans available?

I have a Network 4 adapter for Mod 3 and have been searching for the Network 4 software - so far to no avail. I did chase down one of the folks who developed it for Tandy. He claims to have the diskettes, but I cannot convince him to follow through and copy them :-(. Can someone with Network 4 (and documentation?) please consider making images / scans available?

Bump! Did anyone every find the software for Network 4?

What could you do with this exactly? Connect to a BBS? Or is this for used for schools?

Hopefully connect to a Corvus file server, of which I have several. The support software appears to be pure unobtanium, however. Frank Durda IV apparently had all of it, but I think his collection vaporized after he passed away.

Back