• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New PDP-8/E Acquisition

I have demonstrated that running Focal is a good test, but it is not foolproof!

Please ensure you still run the MAINDECs in the correct order. These identify a few weird issues that running an application doesn’t test for...

Dave

Never said that. One should always run all the Maindecs that are applicable to said system. :)

The PDP-8/S came out in 1966 so it is included in the Focal CPU recognition. Anything more recent than the PDP-12 would probably not be recognized in Focal '69.

The late Charlie Lasner wrote a program to determine what PDP-8 or PDP-12 or PDP-5 it is running on. I will try to find it.

The late Charlie Lasner wrote a program to determine what PDP-8 or PDP-12 or PDP-5 it is running on. I will try to find it.

You can find that code (or equivalent) in KERMIT12 (I think it is), which nicely identifies which CPU it is running on.

Just a quick update. The machine passed all maindecs that can be run on an machine with only 4K!!!!

While I wait for more memory I will try to get the PC11 working with the modified M840 board.

Does any one have a set of the PC8E Reader/Punch Test Paper Tapes (MAINDEC-08-D2G1-PT, MAINDEC-08-D2G2-PT, MAINDEC-08-D2G4-PT) they can copy for me. I will of course pay for the tape and shipping. If I get the punch working before the reader I still would have no way to punch them.

I have a Plessy RK8E clone coming and now I need an RK05 or two :eek:

Thanks...

Does any one have a set of the PC8E Reader/Punch Test Paper Tapes (MAINDEC-08-D2G1-PT, MAINDEC-08-D2G2-PT, MAINDEC-08-D2G4-PT) they can copy for me. I will of course pay for the tape and shipping. If I get the punch working before the reader I still would have no way to punch them.

I think I've got these here: https://so-much-stuff.com/pdp8/software/dec.php#maindec-00
but they are generic, so maindec-00-xxxx instead of maindec-08-xxxx.

Not sure why it would be hard to punch them from the online versions, but I (and probably others) could do it if you need it.

Vince

I may write a program that echos whatever is typed on the console to the punch. That would allow me to make the test tapes from online versions.

OK, I got these working, so I guess I'm ready to talk about them.

For some reason these worked for me to boot OS/8, but they didn't work for Mike. He had to add a missing connection at U2 to each paddle, to get them working in his machine. Fortunately, that's just installing another wire into each jumper assembly.

Vince

Vince Slyngstad made me a replica M935 bus bridge out of 8 of his BC08J boards. Soldered together in pairs. Once we solved a minor issue (easily solved with an additional wire going between the board pairs) everything is working perfectly and I now have a full 40 slot PDP-8/E.

Now I just need more boards to fill it:lol:.

My greatest need right now is mass storage and one or more M8650/M8655 Asynchronous Interface boards.

Back