• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

mnbvcxz

Experienced Member
when I look at the new posts page, it might read as follows

page 1 1 to 25 of 38 posts
page 2 26 to 37 of 37 posts

And I wondered if one post is getting lost between pages? or the forum software has an "undocumented feature":p

Thanks.

I sometimes see this in other parts of the forum. In the "Who's Online?" section, let's say there's 91 people total online. I can go to pages 1-4 and see the list of members. Then one I click on page 5, at the bottom it'll say "Displaying users 75-88 of 88" and thus page 5 should no longer exist. But it must be a forum glitch and keep the extra page. You just stumbled across one of it's funny points.

I sometimes see this in other parts of the forum. In the "Who's Online?" section, let's say there's 91 people total online. I can go to pages 1-4 and see the list of members. Then one I click on page 5, at the bottom it'll say "Displaying users 75-88 of 88" and thus page 5 should no longer exist. But it must be a forum glitch and keep the extra page. You just stumbled across one of it's funny points.
That's not a glitch. That number changes continuously. These pages are not dynamic and there's no way a static page could possibly display the correct values for more than a second or two.

A lot of those post count discrepancies are because moderators nuked some spam. A VB forum I moderate tries to roll back the post count, view count, etc when you delete a spam post but doesn't always adjust the counts correctly. It's an older VB forumversion, I imagine this version works the same.

It's doing that thing again where it'll report more new posts than can be displayed on one page, but it doesn't display a page selector...

It's doing that thing again where it'll report more new posts than can be displayed on one page, but it doesn't display a page selector...

You're right, I get that too. Also, when I just tried to post this, it called me "unregistered" again. It does that sometimes. I don't think it's anything to worry about, that's usual for beta software. :)

This is getting really irritating. I'll see under "New Posts", "1-21 of 68 New Messages" . When I click "Next" for the second page f new posts, I get " nothing found" . Going back and doing a "Search for posts in the last 24 hours" shows that there are indeed a bunch of new posts that I haven't seen.

Can this please be fixed?

My guess is that this is connected to the ton of spam posts we've had lately (I reported a bunch today myself). The number of new posts probably includes posts which have already been removed by a moderator.

-Tor

My guess is that this is connected to the ton of spam posts we've had lately (I reported a bunch today myself). The number of new posts probably includes posts which have already been removed by a moderator.

-Tor
Good observation -- on both points.

I disagree--this has happened three times in as many days. When I go back to check "last 24 hours", I find posts that were lost in the process of getting "new posts". There's definitely something wrong here.

I've noticed it as well. It seems to come up with a total posts above 60, and three tabs, and next gets me nothing or a few, clicking directly on tab three get me nothing.
patscc

It used to be just a small amount that the forum would hide, but the number has grown lately. The largest number I've got so far is 51. I'll have to see just how many posts I've missed over the past week, but I still don't want to use the Activity Stream.

EDIT: New number today..., 87.

I disagree--this has happened three times in as many days. When I go back to check "last 24 hours", I find posts that were lost in the process of getting "new posts". There's definitely something wrong here.
The cause may not be spam removal, but there is definitely a correlation. I see this phenomenon increase when the spam level increases. Right now we're under a spam attack I haven't seen since I joined the forum (I report a lot of it - I probably see more of it than you guys on the other side of the pond as I'm east of you by many hours), and it correlates with the worst 'lost post' problem I've seen so far. But there must be something more to it, because I don't believe there were 3 pages worth of spam posts removed just recently. But the correlation is there. Correlation isn't necessarily cause of course, but for some reason the 'lost post' problem increases as the same time as spam increases, and then goes away again during quiet times.

-Tor

Back