• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

I think there is one of those, but I signed up a year ago, so I could remember wrong. I also suggested a while back that there be a security question on the registration page, such as "Which of these is not a computer manufacturer? IBM, Leading Edge, or Pentium...)" Or something along those lines.

Today I got,
Page 1, 1 to 15 of 52 posts
Pages 2, 3, sorry no matches

This problem is definately getting worse, did the problem begin after the new "activity stream" was introduced?

P.S That was before logging in, now I got 99 new posts but only 51 visible.

I think Tor might be onto something. I stayed up last night until the spam started hitting, and it's not just like one or two, one moment there no messages, then you hit refresh, and next thing you know there's like 5 or 6 new posts, all spam. So I can definitely see this causing problems with returning an accurate count. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the back-end database for the forum is ?
patscc

Hey, did you guys( admins ) do something ? Seems like there's less spam, and less odd new posts. If you did fix it, thanks.
If y'all didn't fix it, well, we'll have words later... :)
patscc

Hey, did you guys( admins ) do something ? Seems like there's less spam, and less odd new posts. If you did fix it, thanks.
If y'all didn't fix it, well, we'll have words later... :)
patscc

We added a new wrinkle to the new user registration (similar to the security question suggested above) and it has slowed, but not stopped, the flood of SPAM. The Mods are still doing an excellent job of nuking those posts as they appear and they should be commended for that effort. :)

The issue with the post counts differing in different views does have something to do with the flood of SPAM. Most of those messages come in as "moderated" meaning that y'all don't have to see them, but the moderators do. They mess up the new posts count, though, as they are posts, even if they are hidden.

The other consideration is the post aging, as mentioned earlier. If you pull up the "new posts" list and see 50 new items, and then spend a while reading and replying to those the posts on the lists will go from new to old and won't show up again on the next refresh. This timer can be changed, but it is a balancing act. You don't want to see posts you saw yesterday coming up as new, but you also don't want to lose what you're looking at now...

The best I can offer is tweaks...

Back