• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

NTSC display for Apple II plus

kingchops

Experienced Member
I tried over the weekend to get my U.S spec Apple II Plus to display on one of my tv's, but none worked. I tried it on a Pioneer plasma, a Panasonic plasma and a Samsung LCD, but none would display a picture from the II Plus. Now I checked the manuals for two of the tv's and both said they can display in NTSC. With the Pioneer the AV channel could be switched between various signals, so I set it manually to NTSC but still nothing. What's up with the NTSC signal from the II Plus, I've seen several U.S II Plus' display on U.S tv's?

The only display I can get the II Plus to work on is my PAL IIe monochrome monitor. The picture is not great but not too bad either.

There is a U.S spec IIe monitor that's available to me, I'll see if I can get hold of that and try it.

Usually you are supposed to connect your Apple to a non-modulated video-in connector of your TV receivers. And there should be a way usually via their remote control units to select the respective video-in (A/V mode) signal.

Could be your TV doesn't like the Apple II+ video output? AFAIK, almost none of the retro computers and video game consoles that connected to TVs actually output a signal that matched the NTSC spec, there were usually slight differences in the refresh rates. I would be very surprised to learn that the Apple II series output exactly 60000/1001 Hz on their video outputs.

Could be your TV doesn't like the Apple II+ video output? AFAIK, almost none of the retro computers and video game consoles that connected to TVs actually output a signal that matched the NTSC spec, there were usually slight differences in the refresh rates. I would be very surprised to learn that the Apple II series output exactly 60000/1001 Hz on their video outputs.
Oh, you should have told us this earlier. Let's use atomic clocks in our apples then. I guess you're selling something like that?

I seem to remember that back in the day, one would buy something called a Sup'r Mod II to attach an Apple ][ to a TV. It would attach to a header near the Cassette Port. It was an RF Modulator. Not every TV can accommodate the frequency range that classic computers output. My Model I TRS-80 displays garbage on my TV via Composite video, but works fine with an old Magnavox Composite Green Screen.

I seem to remember that back in the day, one would buy something called a Sup'r Mod II to attach an Apple ][ to a TV. It would attach to a header near the Cassette Port. It was an RF Modulator. Not every TV can accommodate the frequency range that classic computers output. My Model I TRS-80 displays garbage on my TV via Composite video, but works fine with an old Magnavox Composite Green Screen.

Yes, I've seen those Super R Mod devices, but they are basically an RF modulator that you need to connect through an analog tuner. Not really a good solution. Just some history of what I've tried to get this to work. I purchased an NTSC to PAL converter from fleabay, and I did get a picture on my Panasonic tv. The picture was surprisingly clear, but unfortunately the refresh rate using the converter was so slow it was unusable. I didn't get any color either, in fact I'd warn people away from those cheap NTSC to PAL converters, they are a complete scam. So my next idea was to get a composite to VGA converter, so I can use the Plus on a VGA monitor. This time before buying a converter I did some research and found one that does a decent job on an Apple II. I bought two different versions which are on their way to me, so I'll update the post once I've tried them. I saw one demoed on youtube with an Apple IIe and it did 40 column text and color quite well, so I'm hoping that device will do the job.

Yes, I've seen those Super R Mod devices, but they are basically an RF modulator that you need to connect through an analog tuner. Not really a good solution. Just some history of what I've tried to get this to work. I purchased an NTSC to PAL converter from fleabay, and I did get a picture on my Panasonic tv. The picture was surprisingly clear, but unfortunately the refresh rate using the converter was so slow it was unusable. I didn't get any color either, in fact I'd warn people away from those cheap NTSC to PAL converters, they are a complete scam. So my next idea was to get a composite to VGA converter, so I can use the Plus on a VGA monitor. This time before buying a converter I did some research and found one that does a decent job on an Apple II. I bought two different versions which are on their way to me, so I'll update the post once I've tried them. I saw one demoed on youtube with an Apple IIe and it did 40 column text and color quite well, so I'm hoping that device will do the job.

You should also verify that jumpers on your ][+ mainbord are set for NTSC refresh rate (60Hz) and not for PAL (50Hz).

Own any of the macs that had a video capture card?
They can handle NTSC, PAL, and SECAM inputs and they're known to work with the Apple II.

Own any of the macs that had a video capture card?
They can handle NTSC, PAL, and SECAM inputs and they're known to work with the Apple II.

No, don't have any of those I'm afraid. The ideal solution would be a PAL display card for Apple II, but they're quite rare.

You should also verify that jumpers on your ][+ mainbord are set for NTSC refresh rate (60Hz) and not for PAL (50Hz).

Yes, I've checked and they are set to NTSC standard. I know there is a reasonably simple hack where you solder the pads and replace the crystal to get PAL, but it's only monochrome PAL and I want to get color, so I'll stick with NTSC.

Yes, I've checked and they are set to NTSC standard. I know there is a reasonably simple hack where you solder the pads and replace the crystal to get PAL, but it's only monochrome PAL and I want to get color, so I'll stick with NTSC.
Yes this type of "PAL" is monochrome unless you use PAL card in slot 7. NTSC should be perfect in your case. You can also use for testing some cheap USB/PCI whatever tuner/capture cards/sticks at least to get picture for testing purposes. But from what you wrote I conclude there could be some problem either with this apple or with the cable you're using connect it. Check the cable and post some screen pictures from the apple mono monitor that is somewhat working with your apple.

Back