• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Old Cell phones - any use?

The original DynaTAC bricks are real collectors items.
The real gold are the original cell phones, like the Tandy cell phone I own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=694TX2lQ7Uo

Oh god. it weighs a ton.

Edit:
eBay item 350331512713 is a premade version of what I'm looking for...shame it's so pricey :(

That reminds me. I need to find a Motelona brick some time to replace my LG 8550. Sure they don't have bluetooth but can you imagine the number of chicks you can net with that thing? ;)

Last edited:
<snip>
That reminds me. I need to find a Motelona brick some time to replace my LG 8550. Sure they don't have bluetooth but can you imagine the number of chicks you can net with that thing? ;)
Women are turned on by old cell phones??? They don't even have a vibrate mode...

Time for a new marketing strategy to make a fortune from this pile; if they're young enough then a flip-phone oughta be retro enough, no?

Last edited:
I bought a couple of unused MicroTac Elite phones off ebay a few years ago to keep as collectibles. This was the last model of that range that had the classic styling.
Nice; love the red display on those, been wondering if I could figure out the connections and use the display in something else.
Ph3.JPG
But don't you need some other models for your collection? The first one of that style to go with your last one?
Ph2.JPG
Or the one before that?
Ph1.JPG
Or one of the last ones?
Ph8.JPG
And its clip-on piggy-back organizer?
Ph10.JPG

Last edited:
Or some in between, perhaps?

One of the first Star-Tacs: Ph4.JPG

A pretty green display in case you're Irish: Ph5.JPG

Or a different kind of display altogether: Ph6.JPG

And finally an LCD: Ph7.JPG

And one of the Treos and a Panasonic just for fun: All.JPG

Think I'll keep a Treo after all; camera's not as good as my Nokia, but it does
have a 'real' keyboard and better apps.

Last edited:
bag phone anyone?
motorolab.jpg

I use the displays and keypads as well as other bits like interconnects and such in my electronics projects. I doubt it'd be worthwhile to ship them from Canada to California, but if you know anyone who does electronics projects and uses a lot of recovered parts like I do, there ya go.

A lot of folks use the displays with Arduino projects and such.

And AC adapters can always be repurposed. Especially since the phone has the connector for it.

Reading this thread drives home how much I am on the "trailing edge" of technology. While I have DSL which was made available here a few years back, cell-phones won't work in my town in central Manitoba, only in an area about 2 mi. out of town. There's a telephone tower right in the center of my village relaying messages across the country just across the street from me, which emits a menacing hum in the early hours of the morning, which I've always suspected as being to blame.

I'm a total cherry on cell-phones and don't like the subscription price in any case. I have a Nokia 601 and a couple of years after I moved up here in 2001 I found that most of the province was served by analogue for mobile phones with only the main towns and cities being served by more short-range cell-phone emitters.

I managed to get codes from some hacker site and found the Nokia worked getting free obligatory SOS dialing but balked at the charges for mobile connection and service. I figured I could use payphones on a trip to Vancouver much cheaper. That was my last dabble with this technology.

The MTS has since changed over and mobile phone seems to be dead, altho rotary phones can still be used up here.

Of course being the techno packrat I am, I have a Tandy model 17-1003 like the one in the U-tube video, with power-pac and car charger, the 601, an old taxi transmitter, and a handset and mounting from another set which has the same plug-in as the 601 but obviously older.

Damn it's all going too much faster than my fading memory cells can keep up with. C'mon Mike what are you using. An old secret Tibetian formula, Stem cells from virgins, or simply some exotic strain of Ginko Beluba ?

By the way are any of these analogue devices actually valuable ?

The original DynaTAC bricks are real collectors items.
The real gold are the original cell phones, like the Tandy cell phone I own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=694TX2lQ7Uo

Oh god. it weighs a ton.

Lawrence

Last edited:
Back