• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Olivetti Logos 55 capacitor, replace with what ?

SunDown79

Veteran Member
A while back I aquired an Olivetti Logos 55 for not too much and at first it did nothing but turned out that was just a blow fuse.
So replaced that and lights came on but it stayed very quiet, no motor.

I left it then but have now dug some further and I see a capacitor with green stuff coming out of it, that seems a big no-no :)
Its this beast : https://ibb.co/3v3TFKR

Now, I am no technician and I am hoping if someone can tell me with which modern capacitor I can replace this.
Its 320V, 2uF, will any capacitor do with the same specs as long as it is alteast 320V and 2uF ?

Thanks!

Stefan

That's a film capacitor (the 5% tolerance is the giveaway). It's also a nonpolar cap with an AC (not DC) rating.

I'd also opt for an X-rated (safety) cap. Polyester film caps should make an adequate substitute, provided they fall within the above ratings.

No I don't think so, round motor start/run electrolytics can be as much as ±50%.

A common source today would be the polypropylene capacitors used in ceiling fans example or example 2 These shouldn't be terribly difficult to find in Netherlands.

Is non polar the same as bipolar ? (noob questions here ;) )

Two different ways of saying the same thing.

Over here they have these big capacitors and call them motor capacitors (split into run and start), would those be ok, the running ones ?

Start and run capacitors are designed for motor use, and don't have as tight of a tolerance. I'd use an X rated safety cap like Chuck said, but they can be a bit difficult to find for mains in the EU. A standard 250v rated X capacitor would be right at the limit and the 275v would be a bit iffy as well.

Ah yes they dont really mention percentages indeed for those round ones

I've just ordered the two from Amazon, they are a bit expensive including postage for capacitors perhaps but as GiGaBiTe said I cant find them here and it also isn't that expensive that I will think about it for too long ;)
Should be here next week, fingers crossed

mouser.com and digikey.com do worldwide shipping and have a huge selection of parts. Shipping won't be cheap overseas though.

mouser.com and digikey.com do worldwide shipping and have a huge selection of parts. Shipping won't be cheap overseas though.

Mouser has free shipping over 50 euros. At least to Sweden. But I guess it is the same for entire EU. Below 50 euros shipping is 20 euros. Last time I ordered from mouser was last Monday at 2PM. The parcel arrived Wednesday 1PM.

Back