• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Olivetti M24 DMA control error 03

mamaroma

Good morning,
I have an M24 that gives an error as soon as it is turned on and doesn't go any further.
I don't know if it's a memory problem or something else.
I can't find any information on this error, the keyboard flashes but nothing else happens.
I tried removing the keyboard controller chip but nothing changes.
I need help to save this pc.

Thank you

sorry for my English

Thanks, my M24 is NEC branded, I'll desolder it as soon as I have time, I have the spare on another board

Hello, dou you know this thread?

For seeing the POST codes on the parallel port you need one of these: https://www.ebay.it/itm/174388706839

Can you please post a photo of your NEC branded M24? I have never seen such one.
sorry, I wrote it wrong, I meant that the chip is marked NEC instead of INTEL, I wasn't referring to the PC which is an M24B OLIVETTI. Sorry for my English
Thanks for the link, I have the parallel card for testing but have never used it. I'll read the thread to learn.

So your M24 has a NEC CPU instead of Intel? That's quite normal, NEC, AMD, Siemens and some more where 2nd source manufacturers for Intel 8086/88 CPUs. And it was quite common for the time (and still today) to replace the 8086 (of any brand) by the NEC V30 CPU which is fully compatible (pin to pin and instruction set), plus some extra 80186/286 commands plus a Z80 emulation mode and, that is most important, about 30% faster than any 8086 at the same clock speed.

Back