• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Original Transwarp and Ultima V

olePigeon

Veteran Member
*wimper* So it appears that Ultima V doesn't like my Transwarp card. It'll randomly freeze or hard reset, while simultaneously corrupting the Program disk so it won't boot anymore Doing a search on Google has shown that there are at least 2 other people with the exact same problem.

Ha anyone here ran into that problem? Know of a workaround other than running at normal speed or selling a kidney for a Zip Chip?

I've never had a hang, but I've had it randomly reset the computer more than once.

What version is your Transwarp? I have one and would be interesting to reproduce your problem...

1.3 ROM. I'm using any number of the Ultima V disks from Asimov.
Mine is V1.4...If I had the V1.3 ROM image I could have programmed one EPROM to make a better comparison. How long should I wait after the game starts and what should I do to provoke these failures (faster)?

Create a new character. Then about a minute or so after you start the game (leave Iolo's hut, head outside), it'll reboot. At least, it did on mine.

I'm too late. Hehe. I was going to say Underworld.
No problem. I had to transfer also the "castle" diskette. Now it looks like i am in a room of that castle and I cannot go out but I am still walking in that room. Probably that should be enough. I am about to plug now my precious transwarp that I bought overseas last year. We'll see ;)

Well, so far it works for several minutes. BTW it looks like ultima is CPU speed aware and tunes itself and its sounds accordingly. Am I right?

Several minutes, and then what? Continues working?

Yeah. If you hit Control-T I think it'll toggle the speed of the game.

Several minutes, and then what? Continues working?

Yeah. If you hit Control-T I think it'll toggle the speed of the game.

I worked like this without active input from the keyboard for half an hour or so until I shut down the "apple", actually it's an Apple //e clone machine since these are more available than original Apples around here but I doubt that this is relative to the test...

You have the 1.4 ROM, right? Maybe it's a bug with 1.3. Looks like your standard ROM chip. Anyone have a copy I can buy?

You have the 1.4 ROM, right? Maybe it's a bug with 1.3. Looks like your standard ROM chip. Anyone have a copy I can buy?
Not necessarily! More tests should be done. What happens if you disable transwarp upon boot with "ESC" key? What is your configuration and what are the switches positions? But I see no significant difference of U5 with & without acceleration...

Without acceleration it's pretty pokey. With acceleration, it's 4x faster. It's like playing it on a IIgs. I'll have to wait until I get home to play with it.

Without acceleration it's pretty pokey. With acceleration, it's 4x faster. It's like playing it on a IIgs. I'll have to wait until I get home to play with it.

I'll dig my original //e and will try with it. Will try also with 1.3 ROM in the recent days. Though I am VERY busy at the moment. BTW //GS is cheaper than the transwarp and that with an RGB monitor! If I were in US I would have bought a decent //GS! You could help me if you provide me with a prodos volume image of your U5 folder that I can put on my SCSI hdd and run the game from there...Also would be nice to know the exact settings of your transwarp switches and information about other boards plugged in your //e.

OK, my card is 1.3 ROM. I have block 1 set to: - - - - - - - o, and block 2 set to: - o - - - o - o

Slot 2 has my serial card, slot 6 has my floppy controller. TW card is in slot 3.

Back