• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Original Transwarp and Ultima V

Out of curiosity, I swapped the memory chips on the Transwarp card. All it did was make it reboot before the game even finished loading (though just Ultima.)

Out of curiosity, I swapped the memory chips on the Transwarp card. All it did was make it reboot before the game even finished loading (though just Ultima.)

Most likely there is a hardware malfunction of your transwarp that becomes obvious with U5...

It's rather a matter of RAM than of ROM. A slight off-topic: why is transwarp not emulating/adding at least 128K AUX RAM even when there is "only" 64K of aux RAM plugged in //e?

Last edited:
Well, looking at it closely, I noticed that one of the capacitors is bulged and leaking. I'm gonna recap it. Only has 4 caps, but it's worth a shot.

Well, looking at it closely, I noticed that one of the capacitors is bulged and leaking. I'm gonna recap it. Only has 4 caps, but it's worth a shot.
It is very doubtful the capacitor replacement would solve your problem...BTW: It looks like there are more than 20 capacitors on the TW PCB...

Making sure the RAM has the same date code and country of manufacturing replicates the reboot issue. Mixing RAM gives me different issues (the sounds will be messed up, for example.)

Also, something that always happens with the accelerator turned on is that the floppy does the BRRRRRR sound while reading the Program disk, as well as when reading the Britannia disk. After that, it seems to run normal until about a minute later it'll unexpectedly reboot.

So while it may be a RAM issue, I've tried swapping 64 chips so far, and the issue is the same. So I don't think it's the chips themselves, but perhaps something else on the card.

It only has 8 RAM chips, but I have 3 or 4 RamWorks cards that use the same type of chips. I was swapping them 8 at a time.

Looks like this, but with 1.3 ROM:

TWIIE.PNG

It only has 8 RAM chips, but I have 3 or 4 RamWorks cards that use the same type of chips. I was swapping them 8 at a time.

Looks like this, but with 1.3 ROM:

I know how it looks, I have it. I requested a photo of your TW on purpose. There are no "64" DRAMs on it!!!

Obviously a miscommunication here. I swapped in total approximately 64 different RAM chips to make sure that the RAM itself wasn't bad.

Well, I recapped it anyway and it didn't make any difference. Last thing to check is the ROM and CPU, I guess, neither of which I can replace. :/ Guess it's toast.

Have you tried to put the 65C02 off the TW and put it on your Apple II motherboard ?

Oh, derp! Thanks for the idea. I'll swap the CPU from my IIgs and put it in there. Looking online, the 6518 should work in the Transwarp. I'll give it a whirl.

Oh, derp! Thanks for the idea. I'll swap the CPU from my IIgs and put it in there. Looking online, the 6518 should work in the Transwarp. I'll give it a whirl.
The idea is completely different but I doubt that the CPU could be faulty in that way anyway, and last but not least, the 65C816 will not work in the TW!

The idea of swapping the CPUs. Anyway, the 65C816 worked just fine in my TW. I was able to play for about 15 minutes without it restarting. I also discovered that my DuoDisk is broken, not sure if that was causing the disks to get corrupted or the accelerator. In any event, I'll have to play with it tomorrow and see if the disks stay in tact. If so, the CPU may have been bad. I have another IIe I an play with, see if there's any difference. I'm wondering if I should get a new ROM, too, just to be safe. Maybe the CPU got zapped somehow.

Back