• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

P&T Disk Not Ready

hexsane

Experienced Member
On a TRS-80 Model II using P&T when I try to access disk b: I'm getting a not ready after the drive is selected. Drive a: is working fine and if I switch them around (either on the cable or changing the DSx jumpers on the drives) it gives me the same error?

Am I not doing something? I've selected the 2FLOPPY module and I see the light come on when the drive is selected.

-Matt

Have you checked your cable? In particular, have you checked pin 22 (ready)? Unlike later 5.25" TRS-80s, the Model II needs a ready signal from the drive.

(Disclaimer: I've got a Model 16, not a II, but it's pretty much the same on the Z80 side).

Oops. Forgot to mention. I'm using 5.25" drives and I have Ready grounded (always ready). I have TEAC FD-55GFR drives but even with the RY jumper set the controller isn't accepting the Ready from the drive. This has worked fine with a single drive and works with either drive as 0.

-Matt

Oops. Forgot to mention. I'm using 5.25" drives and I have Ready grounded (always ready). I have TEAC FD-55GFR drives but even with the RY jumper set the controller isn't accepting the Ready from the drive. This has worked fine with a single drive and works with either drive as 0.

Does the P&T work with 8" drives? Have you tried any other CP/M, say, Aton with your Model II? Let's try to determine if it's a software misconfiguration or your drive setup that's at fault.

Oh, one other thing--when you select the second drive, does the disk spin? (Stupid question, I know, but I have to ask!)

Does the P&T work with 8" drives? Have you tried any other CP/M, say, Aton with your Model II? Let's try to determine if it's a software misconfiguration or your drive setup that's at fault.

Oh, one other thing--when you select the second drive, does the disk spin? (Stupid question, I know, but I have to ask!)

I'll see what I can find on the IMD site. I have the drives tied to always spin when a disk is inserted and wait a second before attempting to access. I don't have any 8" media so I have to use the 5.25" drives.

-Matt

That could be a problem. The second drive should be terminated--I believe the Model II is rigged for standard 150 ohm pullups.

I don't have the terminator pack on the external connector. I have it terminated internally properly. I need a pinout of the external connector so I can hack up a terminator.

-Matt

I don't have the terminator pack on the external connector. I have it terminated internally properly. I need a pinout of the external connector so I can hack up a terminator.

Going back to your earlier post, you don't need to terminate the 55GFRs--they have the high-resistance pullups.

I'm assuming that your cable is "flat" without the PC "twist" business and that your drive selects are DS0 and DS1 respectively.

I wonder if the controller's not seeing an index signal from the drive. If you've got a logic probe or a scope, look for a signal on the index line at the Mod II main board connection. The drive may be providing it but it's not getting through. While you're at it, check the "read data" line too.

I think I have discovered the source of my insanity (or at least this part of it) from the schematic DS0 only works internally DS1-DS3 are wired externally. What I need is DS0 and DS1 to be both internal or both external.

I could wire a second cable and connect DS1 to the external bus if there isn't an easier way. :)

-Matt

Making a second cable for the external port was the solution. In theory the controller can be configured for 2 internal mini-floppy drives but no amount of coaxing from me made this happen. Now to finish mounting the drives. :)

That doesn't figure--lots of Model IIs and 16s have 2 internal drives. If I look at the schematics for my Model 16 with 2 internal 8" drives (Tandon 848-2s), it shows that J1 coming off the printer-floppy board has all 4 drive selects available on it.
(Dwg. 8000042),

Are you saying that the Model II uses something different?

I'll do some grunting and have a look at my system. It might be that the Model 16 uses a somewhat different setup.

But have you tried jumpering H to F and S to T to get 2 internal drives to work? The schematic looks like that should.

Yes I did that and it responded the same. It looks like that should work but it didn't on my controller.

-Matt

Okay, I pulled the floppy-printer card out of the model 16. Here's what I've got for jumper settings, going from left-to-right on the card:

L-M
P-Q
W-X
S-T
A-B
J-K
F-H

Internal floppies are connected to J0.

I can't find a W-X on my card.

F-H:
Is your board layout like
F
G
H

And are F G and H all tied together or just F H?

I'll take a picture of my card for comparison purposes when I get a chance.

-Matt

miifdcp.jpg

miifdcpj.jpg

RED: LMN & PQR
GREEN: STU & ABC
BLUE: FGH
YELLOW: IJK

-Matt

Last edited:
Back