• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • Exhibitor application for VCF West 2022 is now open! If you are interested in exhibiting, please fill out the form here.
  • Here are the results of the VCF East 2022 Post Event Survey: Survey Results

Part of Ubuntu 22.04 LTS was designed with Google's Flutter UI. Any privacy concern?

computerdude92

Veteran Member

I was reading this and found something surprising:

"The installation prompts for Ubuntu 22.04 are going to look a little different, because the installer itself has actually been completely revamped. It sports a much more modern and sleek look, while still reflecting the simplicity of Ubuntu. It was created using Google’s Flutter UI development kit"

Is this the end of privacy for Ubuntu based distros? No developer should use Google products in Linux. Google is an infamous spying company.

I don't want to rant here, so please don't comment on my views on privacy as being paranoid or anything. Thanks.

I don't know anything about programming. I just want to know if because they designed this Ubuntu installer with Flutter UI, will it leak data about Linux users to Google? Will it leak data even after installs or Live Booting? Thank you. This is all I want to know.

tradde

Veteran Member
I had not heard this. But thanks for informing us. I too would like to hear an answer to this. It may be time to switch to some other distro if this is true.

commodorejohn

Veteran Member
Ubuntu has been suspect for ages when it comes to privacy. Have we already forgotten the Amazon spyware-integration scandal? Nobody who cares about privacy should've been touching them with a ten-foot pole to begin with.

tradde

Veteran Member
Never heard about that either. There was a long period I was not running any Linux box here. What is a suggested alternative? I know of many but what is preferred?
Yeah, I will get all kinds of answers to that as everyone has their preferred.

Chuck(G)

25k Member
My own personal choice is good old Debian, with the XFCE4 desktop. Debian, historically, has been very conservative. Of course, if you want to be really conservative and don't mind running a BSD (not Linux, but close), try OpenBSD. Tightly controlled with paranoid tendencies.

Fedora is also a pretty good choice.

VERAULT

Veteran Member
I switched off Ubuntu when they forced you to use the unity interface. I continued using older versions for a couple years but now I wouldnt even consider them for install.

tradde

Veteran Member
Devuan is pretty good too, if you like Debian but don't like systemd.
Never heard of this distro. I may check it out. Some weird things are happening with my install of Debian. Synaptic package manager will not run from the menu. But I can run it from the command line. Not sure why. I am not sure which package manager I want to use.

tradde

Veteran Member
I was not overly impressed by the Debian install so am now installing Devuan. Thanks for suggesting it.