• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PC/Server 500 and Media Sense Floppy Drives

g4ugm

Veteran Member
Folks,

I have a PC Server 500 with a Media Sense drive which is somewhat intermittent. When I got it hardly worked at all. After cleaning it works sometimes, but still has problems reading diskettes written on my normal machines. I would therefore love to replace the drive with a GoTek or HxC Floppy Emulator but the drives in the PS/2 and PC Server machines have non-standard pin-outs. These are mentioned here but as the Media Sense and extended security pins:-

http://www.tavi.co.uk/ps2pages/ohland/floppy.html#Floppypinout

and scroll down a bit to the 34-Pin pin-outs. Has any one any information about how these are used. I can't find any info on the net about these pins.

Also, are you positive those switches are working? I swear I've come across a drive once that had a dead switch.

Floppy emulators are for cheapskates defeatists. ;)

I have one in the Yamaha EL90 organ with a dead switch, but I am pretty sure these work, but I will check. So I ha da diskette that worked and after a while it decided it couldn't read the autoecex.bat file. It was still booting DOS OK so I think its ether got low output heads, or , a cap has gone somewhere.

Back