• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PDP 11/45, Part 3

Hi All;
There Is a possibility that I have it Working..
I haven't put in any Memory yet, but I can put in a High Address and do a Load Address and it Responds..
I need to look up the Address for my M9312 and see IF it Recognizes it..
The Problem, seems to be a Pin that had a wire going and turning directions around a pin, and (I thinK) it had either worn thru or worn some of the insulation off of the wire and causing that pin to Read a LOW and for the Clock to work it needed to be a HIGH.. I moved the wire some and put an insulator on the pin.. Which means the Clock now is working..
I also, tied the four signals that were not getting to (A and B Unibus) slot 28 that needed to be there for that slot to work as a Unibus slot.. They were C0, C1, MSYN and SSYN.. These signals came from slots 16 and 21, which was the Bipolar Memory Controller slots.. And I don't have these Boards, So, I could Tie them to the slot 27 signal source.. Which also, may make it so My Core Memory Boards might work better, having these signals..
I have finally Found my old Power Supply that I used for the Core Boards, The +20 volts is good, and the +5 volts is good,
But the --5 volts is Shot.. So either I need to repair it or find another --5 volt module..
I found another Power Supply, like the old one, only this one works, in all three voltages..

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Hi All;
I had hoped to try out my Semiconductor Memory Boards, and I got the voltage connections tied to it.. And I Don't even have to use my Core power supply.. But, I found out that the DD-11CK, BackPlane, isn't tied together, Slots 1 and 4, though it seems that slot 1 and 2 are still tied together, and slots 3 and 4 are also tied together.. So, first I need to wire up slots 1 and 4 together, before testing any Semiconductor Memories.. And after that I still need to see If the SPC part of the slots are not there as well.. Most likely, in the Past I unwired this Backplane, and had thought I could or would use it on some other application..

THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
I have a Mostek Memory Systems PN-8001, working on the PDP 11/45..
My other two, (that I have tried) don't work.. One is a DEC M7891, and the other is Monolithic Systems (303-158)..
These are Semiconductor Memory Boards.. I can Deposit and Examine the Mostek Board, But,
So far it won't run the Move the bit on the Console program..
At 1000 deposit 5000,
At 1002 deposit 5200,
At 1004 deposit 6100,
At 1006 deposit 0005,
At 1010 deposit 0775,
At 1012 deposit 0000,

THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
I have a Mostek Memory Systems PN-8001, working on the PDP 11/45..
My other two, (that I have tried) don't work.. One is a DEC M7891, and the other is Monolithic Systems (303-158)..
These are Semiconductor Memory Boards.. I can Deposit and Examine the Mostek Board, But,
So far it won't run the Move the bit on the Console program..
At 1000 deposit 5000,
At 1002 deposit 5200,
At 1004 deposit 6100,
At 1006 deposit 0005,
At 1010 deposit 0775,
At 1012 deposit 0000,

THANK YOU Marty

Still it's progress (and in the right direction).

Hi All;
I am now just playing with it, and I got it to work..
I don't know If it was warm up time or just fiddling with it..
At first, I could only get the Dots to go across the screen once and stop.. But, now it does continue..
So, now its back to where it was about six or more months ago..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
Thank You, Jack for Your reply.. I couldn't find the AT&T film I was thinking of, of a WayBack machine, so I hope this is close enough, for You..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_q_k_QDraQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_AWAmGi-g8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qLU_urEYVE&index=79&list=PLDB8B8220DEE96FD9
Next, I need to try and get (for starters) one of my M7800's or M7856's to work..
I am getting an Address Error (Indicator Led) that still turns on, when I have in my M9312, I can't remember if it comes on for my M9301 or not.. And it also does it with my M7800's and my M7856's, I am not sure at this time if it is the DL-11's or if it is the Bootstrap card itself, yet, it all has to be sorted out..

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Hi All;
I got one of the DL-11's to work, I now have Console..
Now to see If one of the the other Boards can be made to work..
I have checked all four Boards, I have two good boards and two bad Boards..
The two good boards are the ones that I used the last time..
Then I can see about getting TU-58 working..
So, Now I can see about what All I need to do to get TU-58 working, I know I had some problems, and it was Jumper Related, Just don't Remember what it was..
I'LL need to review my Earlier postings and see what all I did back then to get TU-58 Working..
So, I am Almost back to where is was about six months ago, once I get TU58 working, then I will be fully back, to where I was..

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Hi All;
I have decided to go back a step, Since I have forgotten "HOW" to upload from a TU58..
I have Loaded the Absolute Binary Loader, and then Loaded one of the .Bin or .tap files and it is Running a Memory Test..
And PASSING !!!!
I think Next, I will see If I can get it to Run with my Memory Management Boards, and then Depending on what I can find out, maybe try it with More Memory, Hopefully..

THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
I have the Memory Management Boards in, along with More Memory..

I Can't seem to be able to access, the M9312..

And at this point, I don't know IF it is the Wrong settings of the M9312 Board OR either bad settings on the Memory Management Boards or BAD Memory Management Boards..
It does access more than 32K of Memory.. And it shows something on the Front Panel, I have of as yet to try and Deposit to these Higher Ranges..

THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
As near as I can tell, I have to "Set" the PAR and PDR Registers for Page 7 to be able to access the M9312 I/O..
And that Is what I am Totally confused about at present..
I have the Memory Management Handbook out, and Trying to figure out what it says..
The Handbook tells me that I need to set the Page 7 PAR to '007600, I just need to find out where that is Addressed at, so I can Deposit '007600 to it, and then see IF I can access the M9312 I/O page..

I Think I have it figured out, If I use the Basic Routine that is in the M9312 Manual, under Extended Addressing, but instead use the Figures from the PDP 11/45 Handbook, in the back of the book and under Memory Management chapter, it just might work, IF the Boards are Good..
It looks like the Example used in the M9312 Handbook is for an 11/34 and not for an 11/45.. The principle is the same, but the Addresses are different..

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Marty,

You would have to play with the MMU PAR/PDR registers ONLY if you enable the memory management function. By default at INIT it is OFF, so there is really NO need to touch the MMU register setup.

When the MMU is off, a program access to address range 160000(8) thru 177777(8) is translated to a bus address of 760000(8) thru 777777(8). The PDP-11 hardware (all of them) does this automatically. So when you boot up into ODT in the M9312 (for example) or run a program loaded into memory, the low 28KW of address space is mapped to the low 28KW of physical memory, and the upper 4KW of address space is mapped to the I/O page.

So I would say you are going down a bit of a rathole at this point figuring out how to enable and use the MMU. It is not necessary.

Don

Hi All;
Thank You Don for Your very informative paragraph..
So, I take it that to address the M9312, instead of 165020, it should be 765020,
And there it gives me an Address Error Led indication.. And so does 165020..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
Does Anyone know what Brand of Memory Board these are and How they are 'Set up' ??

002.jpg 001.jpg

And Here is my Mostek Memory Board.. And Does anyone have any information on it, as well ??

003.jpg

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Hi All;
Thank You Don for Your very informative paragraph..
So, I take it that to address the M9312, instead of 165020, it should be 765020,
And there it gives me an Address Error Led indication.. And so does 165020..
THANK YOU Marty

Address 165020(8) is what you would use in a program to access physical address 765020(8) on the UNIBUS.

If you are loading an address to exam/deposit from the front panel, you would use the 18b address 765020(8) to get to the M9312 console boot PROM.

165020(8) accessed from the front panel would map to memory at that location, which may or may not be present depending on your memory board configuration.

So I would say that the fact that 765020(8) get an address error would point to either a bad or misconfigured M9312, or possibly an issue with your UNIBUS. If other I/O register locations respond OK to exam/deposit than I would say it is an M9312 issue.

In particular I would check the configuration of jumper W8. If it is IN it will disable the console emulator PROM from responding, causing accesses to 765020(8) (actually all addresses in range 765000-765776) to not respond and timeout. To use the console emulator feature of the M9312 jumper W8 must be OUT.

Don

Last edited:
Hi All;
Thank You, Don For Your Response !!
First W-8 is OUT..
Second, with my Mostek Memory Board and NO Memory Mapping, but instead the SJB Board.. I can Access the Console Emulator.. (M9312)
I will need to Try again, and see IF with the Mostek Memory Board and With the Memory Management Boards in, Whether, I can access the Console Emulator..
THANK YOPU Marty

Hi All;
I did as I said I would..
I took out Both Large Memory Boards and put in the Mostek Memory Board and Left in the Memory Mapping Board..
At address '165020 I have Memory, and at '765020 I have an Address Error Led come on..
I took out the Memory Mapping Boards and put in the SJB Board (No Memory Mapping) and Left in the Mostek Memory Board..
I can Now Run the Console Emulator from either address '165020 or '765020, it works from either address..
I have not tried it with the Large memory Boards..
There are about a dozen or so signals that the SJB Board uses to simulate that a Mapping Board is there, just not turned on.. I can compare those signals, from the SJB Board and from the Mapping boards and see If something is amiss..

THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
Well, at least for Now, It looks like I am going to have to be satisfied with 32K of Memory, And not worry about having more memory..
Unless, SomeOne has a set of Memory Management Boards for sale, at a descent price.. (M8107 and M8108)

THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Hi All;
Out of my three Specta Logic 21 Boards, I found One that seems to come up OK, at least the Diagnostic says its OK..
And, I doesn't light up the Address Error Led..
I Tried my Priam 807 SMD, but it won't spin up, I have two other SMD Drives yet to try..
And then there is my Cipher Tape Drive, If I can't get a Drive to work.. The Tape Drive is Good..

THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
I am going to make an attempt, at Determining, the Power Connections for my "Amcodyne 100-7110" SMD Drive..
It would be nice to be able to Read the Removeable Fixed Disks for it..
The Ones that I have have DEC Software on it, I don't Remember just which machine, but I think it was a Micro-Vax of some kind..
OR
I could just get out my Cipher Tape Drive and see If the Spectra 21 Controller Board will make Tape Move..
THANK YOU Marty

Back