• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PET 4032 - can't run d64 images from PETdisk MAX v2

I tried loading the wedge and then loading the d64 file:

View attachment 1258614

I tried loading the d64 directly without the wedge:

View attachment 1258615

It just hangs. I emailed bitfixer and got this response so I am hopeful:
Have you had any success with your issues using d64 files with the Max 2? I’m having similar problems with mine. I was also hoping to use my 8050 via pass thru.

Last edited:
Perhaps the MAXv2 firmware has been corrupted. Did you try to reload it?
It used to be somewhat difficult task requiring an Atmel programmer, but he has added code to do this within his gadget.
Of course you may be wary of doing this since the .prg files are working right now, and if the boot loader is also corrupt, then nothing may work...

Here are the instructions from his GitHub page.

Update the PETdisk MAX
Firmware updates will come periodically with fixes and new features. The latest firmware for both the v1 and v2 PETdisk MAX models will be located here:
PETdisk MAX v1 (Atmel ATmega1284) FIRMWARE.BIN

PETdisk MAX v2 (ESP32): FIRMWARE.PD2

To update the firmware on the device, copy this file onto the root directory of an empty microSD card formatted to FAT32. Insert the card into the PETdisk and power up. On the v1, the new firmware will be loaded onto the device after a few seconds. On the v2, the update takes about a minute during which you will first see rapid blinking on the LED, then a single blink every few seconds, followed by a few additional blinks and then the LED remains on. Once the LED is solidly on, the update is done.
You can verify that the update worked by loading a directory from the SD card. At the end of the directory listing the git commit id will be listed, so you can verify it changed from before the update. This also provides a firmware ID which you can use if you need to report any bugs.

Yes I was thinking about doing that but since the firmware file shows “last year “ I wasn’t sure it would be newer. I may go ahead and try it anyway.

My Amazon Echo Dot told me the other day I required a firmware upgrade to do what I wanted to do with a new skill. Firmware update complete - and now the Dot is bricked. Not happy with Amazon. All attempts to 'unbrick it' have so far failed...

Dave

If you look at the bottom of the photos I posted in post 18 it shows the firmware version I have which works for me. What does yours say?

Colin.

Firmware update complete - and now the Dot is bricked. Not happy with Amazon. All attempts to 'unbrick it' have so far failed...
Whenever I have to do a firmware update on a gadget, I break a sweat thinking of all that can go wrong leaving me in the Twilight Zone.

“You are about to enter another dimension. A dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of imagination. Next stop—The Twilight Zone”

Hello, sorry for the delay, everyone. Hope I can help with this and sorry for the issues with .d64 files. I'm attempting to reproduce the issue right now, I'll see if I can get a handle on what might be going on. In the meantime I'll build the latest firmware and post a link here - it's worth trying an update to see if that changes anything.
Basic idea of how .d64 support is supposed to work:
- .d64 images are supposed to show up in directory listings
you should be able to mount a .d64 file with a command like:
LOAD"$:MYFILE.D64",8
after doing so, a LIST should show the files contained in the .d64.
Stay tuned for a firmware link shortly, I'll also post a known working .d64 file just to have a baseline for testing.

Last edited:
Hi again,
Just built the latest firmware, here it is:
FIRM0630.PD2

To update, copy this onto an SD card formatted FAT32 in the root directory. Make sure it only has one partition.
Then power up the petdisk max with the card inserted. You should first see a sequence of rapid blinks, followed by several (about 10) slower blinks. At this point the device reboots and you'll see yet more blinking and finally (hopefully) the LED stays on. The whole process should take about 2 minutes or so.

Please see if there's any change with the updated firmware. I'm testing now on an 8032, I also have a 4032 I can extract from storage to test on as well.

On the firmware posted above, just tested with a board from my latest run, and can confirm that it's working on an 8032. I will try to get the 4032 out this weekend to test on that as well.
I did have a build issue somewhat recently caused by building with platformIO without having a specified version of esp-idf (espressif's build system) indicated - I did notice some odd errors as a result. So it is possible that could explain the issue, let's hope.
This is the specific d64 I was using for testing (shareware version of pet robots):
PETROBOT.D64

This was in the root directory of a FAT32 formatted sd card. Boot up, wait for the led to turn solid on, then
Code:
LOAD"$:PETROBOT.D64",8
then
LIST
should show you the contents.

Fingers crossed. Please let me know if this helps, if not we'll dig deeper to figure out what's wrong.

Last edited:
Mike, after flashing the new firmware I am able to mount d64 files and see their contents.
I will try connecting the 8050 and let you know the result.

Back