• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PET 4032 Issue

So, checked the power connector pins on the MB with a magnifying glass rather than just naked eyeing it as I did before, still don't see any cracks even when I try to move the pins with my fingers. Still, broke out the leaded solder and the soldering iron and reflowed and added a bit of fresh solder, checked to make sure nothing was bridged, it all looked good. Took it back upstairs, connected power, flipped the switch and...got the beeps on a cold boot.

Put it back in the case, connected the monitor and keyboard, let is sit for 10 minutes, and a successful cold boot.

Thank you for the help everyone
You may have nailed the problem, or might not have, it could depend on the ambient temperature. You will find out after a while for sure, especially when you switch it on, on a cold morning.

You may have nailed the problem, or might not have, it could depend on the ambient temperature. You will find out after a while for sure, especially when you switch it on, on a cold morning.
The thermometer has been 63-65 the entire time since I started on this. I can get get specifically in my office, but it has been cool the entire time. If that fails I will continue troubleshooting, but that issue seems to be resolved now.

Thanks again to everyone for their input

So it was likely to have been an invisible cracked solder joint then?

But give it a week or two of testing before calling it...

Dave

So it was likely to have been an invisible cracked solder joint then?

But give it a week or two of testing before calling it...

Dave
I plan on doing that. If it looks good after a few weeks I will start to tackle the other issue, which it a lot more random, but the symptoms are the same every time, and I will need video evidence of this to explain it fully, but I want to make sure the power is reliable

Back