• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Post your vintage madness statement(s) here!

Today I looked at a few vintage computers I need to work on and said .. "meh.. I'll wait till later".
Code:
10 day$ = 1
20 print "Day " & day$ & " ..meh. I'll wait till later. "
30 day$=day$+1
40 goto 20

--------------
Procrastinators unite tomorrow!

Took the 1978 Honda Express out for one last ride before draining the gas and putting it away for the winter.

Also, I repaired the power cord on a really old Landers, Frary & Clark toaster.

today i opened my mailbox.......
To find a 100 year old postcard.......
With two 80 year old stamps.......
Which i carefully removed and added to my stamp collection.....

Then i powered on my 5150 with 16-64kb motherboard and did not get any parity errors :)

no way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Language lacked an ABS() so I coded it using SQRT(SQR())!
What language? And that's an elegant solution. I seem to remember (however, file corruption in my brain is rampant) doing a left shift followed by a right shift to get rid of the sign bit.

A couple of months ago, I repaired my IBM5150 from PARITY ERROR problems....

Nice to find out somewhere here at VCF about "jumpering" some pins on a 41256 RAM as a replacement for the bad , older '64 chips.

Had a huge Vintage Computer weekend clearing out parts I don't need, keeping a few spares, and reconfiguring my machines a little bit. I'm seriously thinking about attaching one of the vintage computers to the TV in the livingroom though for Turkey Day......maybe the 286. More than half my game controllers were bad, I had a monopoly of PCI NICs (all 10/100), and I forgot how many cool old graphics cards I have for spares. I'm also thinking I should get an XT case and build another PC/XT once I move to a new place....I have 2 boards for the job, and enough cards for the job, just no cases/PSU.

I was wondering if anyone else does this:

One of my IBM 5150's has TI 200ns memory soldered to the motherboard.

I replaced the perfectly working memory in the sockets to the same
chips that are soldered to the board.

I replaced all the memory on the AST 6 Pack with identical make of
memory chips - in this case, Fujitsu. In a perfect world of madness
all the chips on this AST Card would be the same as the ones
on the motherboard (TI).

Total Madness? or just too damn Neat ;)

I'm holding some C64/Amiga software (two boxes worth) for another collector. To photograph what had been collected for him, I decided to use the dining room table which worked well.
Well, it worked well after I'd removed the Commodore 64, Amiga 500, 1084S display, Toshiba T3200SX parts unit, and the internals of a T5200/100.

Now the kitchen table is empty, perhaps I should do the battery replacement on my A2000HD.

(I have a tolerant girlfriend)

Also, unrelated, I have a 286 portable which smells like pee whenever it's turned on. I can't get rid of the odour :huh:

Check the local government weather station readout on my always-on DOS machine. It's just so much easier than in my modern desktop system. Two taps and I'm in - two taps and I'm out. None of this mousing around.

Check the local government weather station readout on my always-on DOS machine. It's just so much easier than in my modern desktop system. Two taps and I'm in - two taps and I'm out. None of this mousing around.
That sounds AWESOME. I had a boss a few years back who had a machine that did that same job. His had an older dot-matrix tractor feed printer (probably the last functional one in the school system) just for printing off weather stuff when it was important enough to him. I never had time to look at it for more than a minute.

Care to divulge some specs or even post a picture of the readout it provides?

I couldn't get smooth action from my old Gravis joystick playing the original Privateer on the DTK 386/33 I bought in 1989. I realized I needed more horsepower, so I pulled out my 32 year old Dremel and trimmed an old AT desktop case a little so my Micronics 486/33 motherboard would fit. This board came to me already outfitted with an Intel 486DX22/66 overdrive CPU upgrade.

I then pulled out a 345 meg Maxtor IDE drive to use in my new/old Frankenstein 486, and found it was infected by a vintage computer virus (Stoned) which I removed using a vintage copy of McAfee for DOS from 1997. I retrieved a 30X IDE cdrom drive from the stack and combined it with an Opti MAD16 sound card, generic multi I/O card, and a nice Orchid Fahrenheit 1280 graphics card, 8 meg of 30 pin simms, and a 3.5" HD floppy drive to complete the build.

The infected hard drive and the case mods are just two examples of the kind of pushback I got trying to put this old girl together. It fought me the whole way. Never had so much fun!

So once it is finally working properly I hook it up with my IBM XT on an old KV switch I found at Goodwill, and using my XT/AT switchable DTK Grafika keyboard, I can play with either machine easily. Now it can be maintained and operated by the biggest antique in the room. ME! :D

Well, I.....

-insisted on typing a research paper on my 1942 Royal typewriter.
-Hooked my CD player up to a radio transmitter so I could listen to my CDs on my Westinghouse 780 radio.
-Removed the CD player in my truck in favor of it's original cassette player.
-Went to a junkyard and got two courtesy light bulbs with a date stamp of "GM 1988" for my truck just so they would keep my truck an authentic vintage.
-Found a Victrola record player to play my Edison records.
-Restored a 1959 RCA TV to watch Abbott and Costello VHS tapes.

Back