• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Posting from a Vintage Computer?

Yes please.

Just the standard VGA Chuck or did you find a video suitable driver? I ended up using the SciTech SNAP driver on my Warp 4(FP14) setup. It works out better than resetting the video each time I put the hdd into another machine.

I can't recommend IBM Webex--it's really primitive and very hard to use. You can't even bring up a google search page without it asking if you want to save the file because it can't understand it. There's a good reason that IBM gave up on Webex and went to Netscape.

The experience has been bizarre at the minimum. Right now, I'm experiencing the "disappearing file" (e.g. icons disappearing from the desktop) issue. I've been using a 1GB FAT partition and I think that Warp 3 has issues with it.

As far as video drivers, even stranger. It seemed as if could use the ATI Mach64 driver fairly well, but the system hung when the last ROUTE ADD command was executed in the startup file.

So back to SVGA, but it refused to go to any resolution other than 640x480.

So, I think I'll cut the partition size down, go to HPFS and re-install the thing. Note that there is no Warp 3 DHCP client, so you have to hard-configure your IP addresses.

Oh, and I ran into the "NE2000 at 0x300" issue right off the bat. Drove me crazy initially--the system would install but would freeze if I tried Selective Setup.

IMOHO, it's not the vintage hardware that's tough--it's trying to work with vintage software to do a fairly modern task.

Maybe I'll give BeOS or Haiku a try. I think I'll revisit the QNX 1-floppy solution as well.

There are ways to get DHCP support with Warp 3. http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=324190 I could be wrong but I think Warp 4 server (has Warp 3 GUI) has a suitable MPTS client as well. Putting in a static IP address isn't that much of problem though.

Edit: Found this article discribing OS/2s TCP/IP variants for v3 up:- http://users.socis.ca/~ataylo00/os2/fixpaks/tcpip.html
An article indicating things where a bit if a shambles around the time Warp v3 was released:- http://pclt.cis.yale.edu/pclt/WINWORLD/OS2LOGIC.HTM

Last edited:
Thanks @CU. I'd run across the posts you mentioned and the thought of installing 3 fixpaks to get a DHCP client made my eyes glaze over. It's really strange that it's possible to enable DHCP on MS Lanman for DOS, but not Lanman for OS/2. But then, MS was on the cusp of shedding its association for OS/2 when Lanman was written (note that you have to modify OS2VER to get it to install on OS/2 2.0 and above), so maybe they didn't give a fig.

Right now, I'm tired of applying fixpaks, so I'm going to move on. You'd think IBM would have made the fixpaks cumulative, but that was the odd thing about IBM. They just didn't understand that someone could say "I boot Windows 95 (or NT) and I'm up and running with my network. Installation is a snap."

I think that's when MS won the battle of the 32-bit x86 OSes. Win95 was internet and web-ready as supplied.

I think that's when MS won the battle of the 32-bit x86 OSes. Win95 was internet and web-ready as supplied.

Well, Windows 95 "A" didn't come bundled with a browser, and you had to use its text based FTP client to download Netscape or Mosaic, or else grab them from a CD-ROM disk that came with the computer magazines of that time. Also, by default Windows 95 (even the "B" edition) does not install TCP/IP support when you add a NIC, but only NetBEUI support.

I remember Microsoft bundled its walled-garden version of the Internet, "The Microsoft Network", with Windows 95, and wanted people to use that instead of the real thing (the Internet propper).

So I think it would be Windows 98 the first Microsoft product that came "Internet and web ready". Windows 95 was "Internet capable", but certainly not ready out of the box for it.

...Right now, I'm tired of applying fixpaks, so I'm going to move on. 'd think IBM would have made the fixpaks cumulative, but that was the odd thing about IBM. They just didn't understand that someone could say "I boot Windows 95 (or NT) and I'm up and running with my network. Installation is a snap." I think that's when MS won the battle of the 32-bit x86 OSes. Win95 was internet and web-ready as supplied.

Microsoft also had a slip with NT 4.0 that in some cases (microchannel systems, as mainly from IBM) it was not "network-ready" out of the box. The NT HAL was off-by-one by numbering microchannel slots starting at zero, which affected running a NIC. Service Pack 2 and later fixed the issue.

Something to try is install the individual Connect components separately. It goes something like (where Z is your CD drive letter as you'd expect):-

To install MTPTS, run:

Z:\cid\img\laps\mpts.exe

To install TCP/IP , run:

Z:\cid\img\tcpapps\install.exe

To install Peer, run:

Z:\cid\img\ibmpeer\Peerrmt.exe

Or just copy the directories to the "hdd" and install them from there I guess.

Of course v4 was THE "Universal Client" according to IBM. It's a credit to the "true believers" that eComstation still carries on the legacy.

Some of us were still using dos/win/wfw as well win9x-Os/2 well into the late 90s/early 2000s at home. And of course some still do ;)

Last edited:
Some of us were still using dos/win/wfw as well win9x-Os/2 well into the late 90s/early 2000s at home. And of course some still do ;)

I used OS/2 from about 1.1 on to Warp 3, when there was still a demand for OS/2 programming. I still have the whole shebang--piles of floppies, shelf of manuals, etc. One thing you could say about IBM--their documentation was superb. Oddly, the last bit of code was a small utility that had to run in both DOS and 16-bit PM on either DOS or OS/2. It was all in assembly done as a "bound" executable with macros to handle the system interface, so the source for the two was the same.

But I haven't touched any of it since about 1996 and my memory of it has faded.

In the same vein, I wanted to use Steve Gibson's SIB (Small is Beautiful) for programming small Windows apps in assembly. Now, it seems, nothing is small for Windows, no matter how simple the function.

Back