• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

ProDOS 2.4

raoulduke

Experienced Member
Has anyone gotten this to work in physical form? I downloaded both the torrent and the Archive versions. On Sheepshaver it shows up as a format problem requiring me to format the disk image. On OS 7.5.3 it just says there's a file error. I tried using a converter tool and it converted from .dsk to .2img and then from .2img to diskcopy but still had the same file problem when I tried to mount it.

I haven't yet been able to confirm anyone has gotten this version to work, but the creator has a screenshot of him using it on a physical machine.

Last edited:
Yes it boots on my physical Apple II+ 64k and my Integer ROM converted Apple II+, also 64k. The Integer ROM system won't launch Basic 1.6 but reports it requires a II+ then has a flashing rdkey cursor in the upper left corner.
Pressing a key returns to Bitsy Bye. I'd take pics but don't have a camera at the moment.

Larry G

Oh, nice, thanks for the link, I didn't know what this was all about. That is a very interesting user-update of good old Apple Prodos. Lots of handy modifications.

lol, no I believe you. Thanks though. I'm just curious what the problem is. The converter I have should be able to read - and actually says it is reading and converting - the file. But when it gets to DiskCopy format it fails every time (and actually I think DiskCopy should be able to read .dsk files to begin with).

I guess I'll try making a disk on my IIgs networked to the Power Mac next.

Osgeld, the torrent and the archive link are the official hosts, at least according to the author. However, the callapple file is zipped, so I will actually try that next instead.

The callapple version had a header error when unzipping and then gave the same error on DiskCopy as the official files gave. I assume they downloaded the official file and zipped it.

Sheepshaver? DiskCopy format? None of that is going to help you - this is a 140k disk for an Apple II. The Mac is not going to have any idea what to do with it. An 800k ProDOS disk is DiskCopy-able, but not a 140k 5-1/4" disk.

The callapple version had a header error when unzipping and then gave the same error on DiskCopy as the official files gave. I assume they downloaded the official file and zipped it.

I just downloaded it and ran it fine on applewin, sounds like there's something else going on on your end

and yea disk copy is not going to do anything with a 140k apple II dsk image

Yeah good point. Even though in the back of my mind I knew this had to be 5 1/4" I didn't logic out that it probably wouldn't make an SD 3.5" floppy... And in that respect I think I might have overestimated how useful the 16-bit version would be to me. I guess I'll use this as an opportunity to test ADTPro since my IIe had trouble last time. (I think it was the cable.)

For the record, though... and if nobody knows I'll just test... presumably it should be writeable via the Apple II copy program (that was a weak finish, I know... I forget its name though)?

Back