• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

RARE: Original C2N Cassette Unit - PET VIC CBM

This is the second C2N I see in a short while, and both have a grey cable, like the newer 1530. I also have an original C2N (didn't know it was quite rare, though) but it has a rather thick, black cable all the way. Maybe the cable once was replaced, but the connector on the end is good, although it came without the housing.

This is a thick cable (I wonder if it allows higher data rate?) :

c2n.jpg

The cable is marked ЯU E56118 LONGWELL PVC 105°C VW-I CSA LR33951 LIT-300.

I received this C2N from a buddy (co-worker) of mine about 10 years ago. I can't remember everything that he told me about it, but there was a post-it note rubber banded to the box saying, "rare - very few".

He worked for Commodore in the 80's, and although I trust that he knows what he's talking about, there is very little info about this model available online.

Which leads me to another question, which I posted here.

Bo Zimmerman lists the known Datassette models:
http://zimmers.net/cbmpics/dtapes.html

The discussed model is uncommon for sure, but "very few" probably was a personal reflection by your co-worker. My unit is stamped DATASSETTE rather than C2N CASSETTE like yours is. The S/N is 181548 and on the inside, the circuit board is dated 1979. I can't read the S/N on your picture, but assuming Commodore numbered units sequentially (which is a wild assumption), at least some 180,000 units would've been made since the PET era.

Apart from the missing recording LED, the 1530/31 series had a pre-drilled hole above one of the screws for the R/W head. Thus it was possible (but not recommended) to slightly adjust the azimuth angle using a small screwdriver. Once you start adjusting it, a special alignment program would be required to restore it.

carlsson said:
Bo Zimmerman lists the known Datassette models:
http://zimmers.net/cbmpics/dtapes.html

The discussed model is uncommon for sure, but "very few" probably was a personal reflection by your co-worker. My unit is stamped DATASSETTE rather than C2N CASSETTE like yours is. The S/N is 181548 and on the inside, the circuit board is dated 1979. I can't read the S/N on your picture, but assuming Commodore numbered units sequentially (which is a wild assumption), at least some 180,000 units would've been made since the PET era.

Apart from the missing recording LED, the 1530/31 series had a pre-drilled hole above one of the screws for the R/W head. Thus it was possible (but not recommended) to slightly adjust the azimuth angle using a small screwdriver. Once you start adjusting it, a special alignment program would be required to restore it.

If they did label them sequentially then there was at least a half a million made (assuming they started with your number and ended with mine: 733638 ).

Although, your model is labeled datasette (vs. C2N)... might mean they were two slightly different machines. Also note the ground on the C2N's power cable, assuming your cable isn't custom.

Thanks for the other information, I hadn't seen that page before you posted the link.

Ok, so I was backwards in my earlier post. The white one has a long (3') 'thick' black cable, with the same markings as carlsson's, and the black one has a short (18") 'thin' grey cable. (Actually, the wires appear the same, it's just the 'casing' (shrinkwrap?) that's different). Both are badged 'Datasette' and Made in Taiwan. Other differences include a tape counter, present on the white, but not on the black one, and the jack on the end of the cable. The black one has 'ears' with screw holes, and the other does not. Neither one has an external ground wire, although I have seen some that do. Hard to tell anything from the serial numbers, but the black (older?) one is 025774, and the white one is 244513, FWIW.

--T

I don't know if C2N and DATASSETTE tells anything about age, or if they were used interchangeably - from what I remember, even some 1530's are marked C2N and/or DATASSETTE. The thick black cable doesn't seem to contain the external ground wire.

My guess is that the black one without tape counter is older (and more rare?) than the white one, which may have appeared in a few variations before Commodore replaced it with the 1530 model. It was fairly easy and safe to unscrew the three screws in bottom and read the circuit board date, if anyone is further interested.

But what really should interest collectors in this particular auction is the box in good condition. Boxed items are worth more than unboxed, and some collectors wouldn't even bother to bid on an unboxed item, unless it is really rare. I doubt I own any Datassette box. I do think I have some 1541-II box, and I know for sure I have the boxes to my VIC-20 and C64 computers.

I was the one who sold a PET
I was so sorry ever after. '78-'79.
Give me an Apple - I'll defy
'Cause it's not what I am after. '78-'79.

Back