• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Raspberry Pi update

Chuck(G)

25k Member
For those of you who have been following this project by a UK group to produce an inexpensive (USD$25) single-board computer running Linux, you'll be happy to know that they've started production:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

What's sad is that the group wanted this to be a UK-manufactured product, but couldn't get any UK PCB house to meet price/delivery schedule requirements. So it's off to China...

Raspberry Pi Wiki

I've been watching this, and I do want one but I have a feeling I'll wait until they are a couple batches in to get one as by then it will probably be easier to get one rather than trying to get one with everyone that wants one as it is.

Robotics community well I guess any hack community is eying it also. I know the previous conversations were whether it would really be sustainable at that price. Looks like they'll be good to their word so it'll next be them pitching other folks uses for it. Remote admin interfaces, X controller or monitoring stations are all good uses I could see.

For those of you who have been following this project by a UK group to produce an inexpensive (USD$25) single-board computer running Linux, you'll be happy to know that they've started production:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

What's sad is that the group wanted this to be a UK-manufactured product, but couldn't get any UK PCB house to meet price/delivery schedule requirements. So it's off to China...

Raspberry Pi Wiki

Yeah, that's really awesome. I want to get a model B. From what I've been reading, because of the amount of taxes the UK puts on it's own businesses, it's actually cheaper to produce outside of the UK than inside. There's no import tax or anything for this, so the boards can be made cheaper. Way to go UK government...

From the Raspberry Pi web site:
You will be able to buy a Raspberry Pi from the end of February, from this website.
The model A will cost $25 and the model B will cost $35. These prices will not change (unless we can change them downwards).
And we're almost mid-February now...

If you do order one and want one from the first batch, you should order the model B--the first production run of 10K are all model Bs. Later runs will apparently include a case as well.

That really doesn't surprise me, I tried to load the sites selling them on the 1st day. One half-loaded, and the other kept timing out. Either really heavy load, or some idiots doing a DDoS.

Farnell in the UK was out all day. Hardly surprising given the amount of press coverage.

I was able to order two from Newark electronics yesterday. However, approximate ship date is May 10th. I can wait.

I'm not clear on the raison d'être for that one. It is many times more expensive. I guess the server interface is desirable, but it seems to me you can do that on any platform. Anyway the comments there had a funny one about that:
*Cue gang of Russian hackers in dimly-lit bunker, lined with plasma TVs and big LCD monitors*
<Hacker 1> Ve're een! Haha! American knows nothing of what we are doing heem!
<Hacker 2> Egcellent Vasily! Now, let's get to vork - goodbye, benk account, American!
<Hacker 3> Wait meenute. This is not benk acount.
<Hacker 2> ...

* two hours later *
<Hacker 3> Ahah! I am turning toaster on AGAIN!

Back