• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Raspbery Pi terminal emulator

roberttx

Veteran Member
I have a few of those 1U deals with a keyboard and a flip-up LCD monitor and had long intended to fit Raspbery Pis to them, to use them as terminals with my rack mount systems.

It occurs to me that the Pi part might be a good project for while I'm convalescing from my hernia surgery, in a couple of weeks. It certainly fits within the 5 to 10 pounds that's the maximum that I'll be allowed to lift.

Has anybody done this? Any recommendations or suggestions? I've never touched a Pi, up until now...

Hello Hello.

So being extremely mean, er I mean frugal I have ordered and received this 10.1" LCD screen

60 USD or about 40GBP

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301581161486

It came with zero documentation just the screen and 2 electronics boards. But the good news is that it actually works!

And the even better news is that there is a VGA and HDMI in interfaces. One of the electronics cards has some buttons and pressing them can select between the inputs.

Right now I connected this to either my 2018 Xeon server VGA display or the VGA of my IBM PC

And the HDMI could be for an.other Pi needing input

----

Coincidentally I will shortly writeup ( on majzel.blogspot.com) my experiences of using a Motorola Atrix Lapdoc

This cunning bit of hardware was to support a Motorola Smartphone, but with the right cables can attach a Pi and then albeit with cables dangling everywhere you have a Pi laptop. Whilst Pi laptop projects exist they are always very expensive, in fact you end up paying more than for a real laptop! So in the USA where Atrix are very plentiful (relative to Europe) its quite easy to get one at almost zero prices

---

Back to the LCD screen, as with All Pi stuff, for me at least you have to be quite careful to keep the budget low, else you could really be using something else. So this inexpensive screen, which came from China, very slowly ... about 3 weeks in transit, I am delighted to reports works a treat.

regards marcus

A free discarded TV, and a surplus USB keyboard, plus a RPi with the RS232 breakout kit will make a fine dumb terminal.

But like amouse says, you can probably get even cheaper than this if you want.

An RPi is just a system on a card. It's a very complete modern computer.

Last edited:
I have a WYSE embedded client in my racks to act as a serial terminal. You can find them for pretty cheap these days. They are also KVM compatible so the rack console is not totally tied up.

I hadn't thought of using a thin client. I think I have a couple of Widows based ones laying around, somewhere. I'll have to go look for them.

Back