• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Rebuilding Compaq Deskpro 286

Tiberian Fiend

Veteran Member
I pulled the old family friend out of storage last week, only to find out it died a horrible battery-death (acid everywhere... I don't even want to think about it). After salvaging what I could from it, I found a mostly-complete replacement for less than $50. It won't hold setup information, so I'm guessing I need a new battery for it. It has a giant 7.2v lithium battery with a connector that looks like a speaker connector. Any recommendations on where to buy a replacement?

Also, I tried installing the video card from my old computer into the new one (it's the genuine Compaq video adapter; the one in the new computer is not), but whenever it's installed, the system blinks like a Christmas light. What might cause this?

Maybe there are some settings on the motherboard for the video card type ?
Could be switches or jumpers to indicate if its a mono/CGA/EGA/VGA video card.

Also, I tried installing the video card from my old computer into the new one (it's the genuine Compaq video adapter; the one in the new computer is not), but whenever it's installed, the system blinks like a Christmas light. What might cause this?

Don't know anything about the battery, so I'll let someone else field that question. As for the video, Compaq 286s use a setup disk just like the IBM AT. They do not use DIP switches to select the video. The original video card is probably the Compaq VDU, which was a CGA/MDA hybrid. If it has an RCA jack and a 9-pin connector, it's the VDU. It could also be EGA.

And what exactly do you mean by the system blinking? Does the screen flash, or the keyboard lights, or something else?

It is the VDU. The motherboard has a DIP setting for "Compaq or RGBI/Non-Compaq monochrome" monitor setting, which is set for Compaq.

By "system," I mean everything blinks: LEDs, monitor, and power supply fan. Everything attached to the power supply, basically.

7.2V isn't a regular lithium primary battery voltage (they tend to come in multiples of 3v). Are you sure it's not a NiCad? The voltage would be right.

If it is NiCad and you want to replace it, check into cordless phone batteries. You can find 7.2v ones (some Panasonic phones too them) or hook two 3.6v packs in series.

It's definitely lithium. I found a couple here, but I figured someone here might know more about brands/sellers for this type of battery.

Is that the B9591TA? These contain a blocking diode and resistor in addition to the lithium cells.

If you were on the cheap, you could always use a 5 AA cell battery holder with some alkaline cells and a series diode. In this application, they'll easily last a few years. When I replace batteries like this one, I stick the battery holder to the outside of the case and run wires inside. That way, if the things start leaking again, they won't damage the circuit board.

Last edited:
That's the one. It's actually the same model I pulled from the current computer. I'm more worried about buying old stock than I am price. The current battery is dated '99, and the one on that website is identical. Upon investigation, Eternacell hasn't existed for several years, now.

Good point...and Saft (who bought Hawker Eternacell in 2001) no longer makes this style of battery. Must be NOS--out of curiosity, I've dropped one of the vendors an email asking him how old his stock is.

Saft does have a 7.3v 2-cell Lithopack, but it doesn't have the internal diode.

Response from BatteryKing.com:
Chuck,

Your information is accurate. The picture on our website is out of date but fornunately for our customers these batteries are available and are currently being built with SAFTcells. The new batteries are the same size with the same wire lead and connector only not ETERNACELL.

If you would like to purchase this product please let me know and I will be glad to assist you.

Personally, I'd give my business to this guy for his prompt and honest response.

Likely it is the same "battery king" that I purchased an iBook battery from recently, thru Amazon. Good quality battery, worked out of the box.

Edit: Hmm, maybe not the same one that has a store front on Amazon. Prices listed on Amazon seem much lower than on the .com website.

Last edited:
OK, so my computer won't hold the bios information, even with a new battery. Any ideas? The setup disk I'm using was from a newer Deskpro 286, but the same version. Would that make a difference?

OK, so my computer won't hold the bios information, even with a new battery. Any ideas? The setup disk I'm using was from a newer Deskpro 286, but the same version. Would that make a difference?

Shouldn't make a bit of difference. Does the machine hold BOS data after a reboot with AC power left on?

Doesn't even hold it without reboot. After the write program completes, I'm dumped back to "System options not set" message. It saves the time, but not the date or system information.

Try one of the old generic configuration utilities.

I think your CMOS is working (at least as far as keeping data while the power's on) since you can get through to a boot. Part of the extended memory POST involves writing a shutdown code to CMOS and rebooting. If that weren't working, you'd never get as far as you do.

Did you say that you cleaned up a battery leak? If so, check the cleanup area on the PC board very carefully. Sometimes, the crap gets under chips.

To be clear, the computer doesn't reboot before giving me the "system options not set" message. I exit the setup program, go into the write program, then I get the message and am sent back to the setup program without rebooting.

Where might I find a configuration utility?

The old computer was the one with all the leakage. I threw it away rather than attempt to clean it up. This one had a little leakage, but it's in the corner opposite of the corrosion.

Found 0308. Now I've just got to figure out how to get it onto a 5¼" floppy. It's times like this that make me wish I hadn't given away my combo drive. :rolleyes:

Back