• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Rebuilding Compaq Deskpro 286

Saves the date now, but not second floppy or hard drive info. Could I be getting the "run setup" error message if the computer isn't detecting the drives? The lights on them come on for an instant when I turn the power switch on like they would normally, but I haven't done any testing since I pulled them from the old computer.

OK, so the second floppy drive works. Are the original Compaq IDE hard drives incompatible with the modern PATA interface? If not, I might have a problem. I tested in both the computer I'm using now and a 486, and they both say the HDD is malfunctioning.

I can't say for certain, only that early IDE drives were different. What's the model number of the drive?

If you'd like, I can send you a utility that attempts to diagnose IDE/ESDI/MFM/RLL drives by probing the I/O ports.

A drive OEM-ed by Conner for Compaq. No biggie.

How do you have the drive jumpered? If it's the lone single drive, you should have the "ACT" and "C/D" pins jumpered. If it's a master (with a slave drive), you should jumper C/D and DSP.

But the drive should work.

Jumpers are set for single, and I tested it as single in both computers. HDD failure reported by both. Would the HDD failure stop my Deskpro from saving the BIOS information?

Looking in the manual, there are separate error messages for system options not being set and fixed disk failure. I did save the CMOS chips from the old computer, but I had to pry them out with a screwdriver because I didn't have a chip puller, so I may have damaged them. Should I attempt to swap them out?

Well, it wouldn't hurt, I suppose.

The next time you need to remove a chip, try a filler bracket from a desktop box. Put the short end of the "L" between the chip and the socket and rock it gently to nudge the chip out. Repeat on the other end of the chip. I have a couple of full-length "L" removers that I made in my shop over 20 years ago. Not a bent pin since.

Changing the chips worked. The HDD is still malfunctioning, though. I guess I'm going to have to get another one.

Looks like my computer can hold over 2 MB of ram. Could I do anything with that much ram on a 286?

Last edited:
Looks like my computer can hold over 2 MB of ram. Could I do anything with that much ram on a 286?

You can use Windows 3.x, although if you have the original Compaq VDU, you'll only be able to run it with CGA graphics. Software that runs on 286s and uses extended memory is rare.

You can use Windows 3.x, although if you have the original Compaq VDU, you'll only be able to run it with CGA graphics. Software that runs on 286s and uses extended memory is rare.
I haven't bothered with the VDU since I figured out how to switch the video board that came with the new computer into CGA mode. I'm still using the Compaq monochrome monitor, but I could plug a TV into the card and switch it into EGA mode if I so desired.

I always had the impression that the 286's role was mostly to run PC or XT software, only faster. Are there any major programs for Win3.1 that'll run on a 286, or would it be a novelty?

I always had the impression that the 286's role was mostly to run PC or XT software, only faster. Are there any major programs for Win3.1 that'll run on a 286, or would it be a novelty?

Quite a few, assuming that you have access to a repository of older software. Understand that until the Win32S mode became available, all non-standard/real mode programs were written on the 16-bit 286 segmented mode model. It really wasn't until some time after Win95 was deployed that 32-bit mode became the norm. The Win32S support DLL for Win 3.1 was comparatively huge and you avoided it if you could.

Those who were around when 32-bit mode was made available for Windows surely have enough scars from "thunking" to 16-bit DLLs to vividly remember those times.

It would be so slow though...... I never ran Windows on a 286. Even on a 386 it's not exactly real fun. I didn't do anything serious with Windows (or any GUI for that matter) until I got a 486.

Quite a few, assuming that you have access to a repository of older software. Understand that until the Win32S mode became available, all non-standard/real mode programs were written on the 16-bit 286 segmented mode model.

Right. Windows 3.x ran in 286 protected mode, although it supported 386 features like virtual memory and V8086 mode. That gave it an important advantage over OS/2, which didn't support any 386 features (not until later, anyway).

I'd estimate that 60% of Windows 3.x applications require a 386 or a 486. As for DOS apps, there are a few that use 286 protected mode, such as Lotus 123 Release 3.x. All the games that I've seen that can run on a 286 are real mode.

And of course, Windows will be awfully slow on a 286. My 386 (20 Mhz) has 3.1 on it, and it runs fine in standard mode, but enhanced mode is pokey.

Hrmm... I'll have to try it when I'm through paying for my classes. Would I benefit from installing an 80287 in any way?

In a word, NO. Some math intensive apps might make use of the 80287 but that's about it. And, of course, if you were doing a bunch of math in a BASIC program, the coprocessor is almost required. Like that Mandlebrot stuff.

Back