• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recommendations for a new motherboard

There's a lot of misinformation in the last few posts. Dual network ports will not speed things up just by themselves; they're included mostly for hardcore gamers so that one port can go to a LAN and another to a WAN to try to shave off 1ms or so of latency.

Also, DHCP and dynamic addresses don't put a "burden on the network" and are not themselves a "security risk". Not sure where that's coming from.

"static" addresses are a potential security risk.

Windows has a lot of extra's when it comes to networking, Wireshark tells me the whole network on DHCP and default setting get a ARP signals every 30 to 45 seconds or so.(several other things too BTW)

"static" addresses are a potential security risk.

That should definitely not be a problem. Something else is wrong with your security. You might want to look at your firewall. In FreeBSD it's a loadable kernel module but most OSs have one there by default. If you have a router (which has a static IP, by the way) then there is probably a perfectly good firewall there already. I'm not convinced that you actually do have a problem though, :) but you might want to pose the question on a networking or security forum and tell them exactly where you have identified the risk.

Perhaps it is a mix-up of symptoms and cause going on? Many people who prefer a static IP address do for a reason, e.g. they want to run some kind of server software 24/7 and have it mapped to a traditional DNS so other people easily will find it. That in turn will attract some script kiddies and possibly even more seasoned hackers trying to break into your computer through the services you expose.

On the other hand, most people who just stick with dynamic addressing through DHCP won't have any particular ports open and most importantly won't assign any domain names to advertise they're around. Of course some software packages will install server-like services anyway, and that is where your firewall comes in to determine which ports - if any - should be accessible from outside.

So given that kind of reasoning, anyone who uses static IP is at bigger risk because they're more likely to also have some services running, intended to be used by others but also that can be attacked in many different ways. A bit like someone who owns a muscle car is more at risk when driving on the highway, because the engine is capable of producing more force, torque and you'll accelerate and drive faster than people in "simpler" cars.

Anyway, it is not really relevant to Chuck(G) when choosing which hardware to base his next computer upon.

Chuck(G)

Going through my email early this morning the following popped up from TigerDirect:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...rce=EML&utm_medium=mybuys&utm_campaign=alerts

Not a bad deal for under $100 as the package includes 4 GB of RAM. BTW, that AMD 640 will most likely open up to 6 cores - most do and mine did, it's all handled through the BIOS - no hoops to jump through. You mentioned that you would like floppy support and PS/2. This board doesn't have IDE/floppy support but does have PS/2. I use a Lacie USB floppy. I picked up a USB 2.0 PCI card for my PIII project ($6.95) that has a IDE riser on it - don't know why but it's there.

Yeah, I'm a TD email subscriber too, but scroll down in the ad to where the motherboard shows and read the big red print. That doesn't bode well to me.

I'd just as soon go for a full-size mobo with 4 DDR3 slots. But this looks like a good deal. I still have to peruse what Geeks has on sale.

Smart Dual LAN
GIGABYTE Smart Dual LAN technology features intelligent LAN port auto-switching between the 2 physical Gigabit LAN chips; offering hassle free, zero downtime, high speed network connectivity

Ah, so the motherboard itself is the "dual jacks = greater speed". I thought you were claiming the general practice of plugging in both ports = automatic speedup regardless of equipment (which is untrue).

I think floppy drive support for current motherboards will be rather slim anyway, and those boards that has it will only recognize 1.44 MB drives in BIOS. I think in the future we'll be stuck with the in-between solution that some people already are using in terms of moving data from one computer to a different format on another computer to a different format on another computer to a different format on another computer.

Personally I'm sticking to an AthlonXP system that handles down to 360K, but still semi-modern enough to take USB etc. Then I don't have to worry about my latest PC doesn't do floppy drives. A true serial port however, and to a lesser degree parallel port, are still useful to me on my main computer.

Ah, so the motherboard itself is the "dual jacks = greater speed". I thought you were claiming the general practice of plugging in both ports = automatic speedup regardless of equipment (which is untrue).

I wasn't 'claiming' anything. The Dual LAN is offered on that particular mobo (as well as others) and I was merely making mentioning of that feature.

I think floppy drive support for current motherboards will be rather slim anyway, and those boards that has it will only recognize 1.44 MB drives in BIOS. I think in the future we'll be stuck with the in-between solution that some people already are using in terms of moving data from one computer to a different format on another computer to a different format on another computer to a different format on another computer.

Personally I'm sticking to an AthlonXP system that handles down to 360K, but still semi-modern enough to take USB etc. Then I don't have to worry about my latest PC doesn't do floppy drives. A true serial port however, and to a lesser degree parallel port, are still useful to me on my main computer.

You would love my new PIII - DOS 6.2 & Xp. As soon as the Ensoniq PCI is up and running I'll try to get a build report out on it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm a TD email subscriber too, but scroll down in the ad to where the motherboard shows and read the big red print. That doesn't bode well to me.

I'd just as soon go for a full-size mobo with 4 DDR3 slots. But this looks like a good deal. I still have to peruse what Geeks has on sale.

I wouldn't let the 95 watts worry me as that's what the 640 is rated at. I'm not too sure about 'burn-in' though. Smart to shop around and not have regrets later about not getting exactingly what you want. Final word on that deal. The 640 alone retails between 89 & 108, including TD, which has it listed separately for 89. Even if that mobo went south you'd come out ahead considering that stick of RAM they're tossing in. Geeez, I guess I'm sounding like a salesman on commission.

Lucas - You don't have one of those setups?

Man, I have a 1MBps link(shared for all my computers), and I'm currently using a cheap ($1) sound system in my first computer, my secondary computer still uses a 14" CRT (but a color one ;)). I use all my extra money in vintage parts and video games. And even with more money, I would never buy a big LCD screen, I really don't like. CRT is the best.

I don't regret going away from CRT on my main system one bit. I'm very sensitive to CRT flicker and the lack of it on an LCD display is bliss. Yes, color rendition isn't perfect, but it's getting better. One of these days, we'll all have big-screen OLED and wonder why we even fooled with stuff like LCD and plasma.

OLED is pretty cool, my laptop has a 17" OLED, and it's amazing. Still, I have some 19" & 21" CRT's that support a fairly high refresh that I love, although I'm not quite as sensitive to flicker. Still, I thought most LCD panels have a 60 Hz refresh, so is it something like using a CRT with a "slow" phosphor ?
patscc

You have a 17" OLED laptop? :shock: Whose development lab did you rob? All I've seen for OLED laptops are concept models. I've seen OLEDs on mobile phones, but that's as big as they've gotten. Sony had the XEL-1 TV with an 11" screen a few years ago and Samsung has some technology out there but you're talking lots of bucks per pixel. I got to see a demo of an XEL-1--it really was amazing.

LCD is different from CRT--you turn a pixel on, it stays on. The display may be updated only 60---90 times per second, but it's not the same as a CRT scanning.

Here, a 55" Samsung OLED TV, 9.000 euros. The link is in portuguese, but there's no good info on it, only the size, the price, and the place IFA 2012.

IFA 2012 is a technology fair that takes(took) place in Berlin from August 31 to September 5.

Last edited:
I wasn't 'claiming' anything. The Dual LAN is offered on that particular mobo (as well as others) and I was merely making mentioning of that feature.
Darn! I could have sworn you'd said "you will see a definite increase in performance," and here I was just getting ready to plug in another pair of NICs and at least double my download speed... ;-)

Back