• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Replacing 474 cap with 472 or 473 cap?

samib71

Experienced Member
Hello.
Maybe im posting on the wrong place sorry in advance if it is the case.
I need to replace a 474 capacitor but i dont have this value in my spare box , can i replace it with 472 or 473 capacitor because i have those two values in my spare box thank you for any help.

No, since the last digit is a factor. E.g. 474 is 470 nF, 473 is 47 nF, and 472 is only 4.7 nF.

You could use a 334 instead, which would be 330 nF.

In any case, it also depends on how the cap is used and what type of cap it is (if it is ceramic, only ever replace with exactly the same type!).

Thanks for your replay timo w , yes the cap is ceramic type , so i will put a 334 cm instead.

I got something else replacing 750 ohms resistor with 650 ohms thanks again.

Thanks for your replay timo w , yes the cap is ceramic type , so i will put a 334 cm instead.
No, don't do that. As I said, if it is ceramic, only replace with exactly the same type (capacity and voltage). Unlike with electrolytics, ceramics will change their capacity with temperature and actual voltage, so you must use the same values. (unless you want to study the data sheet and doing lots of maths)

I got something else replacing 750 ohms resistor with 650 ohms thanks again.
Resistors should never ever be replaced with different ones, as you either let more voltage or more current flow with lower values. That can destroy whatever is connected to them.

+1.

You need to understand (from the schematic) what the function of the component actually is, and you can then determine whether you can replace the component with an alternative.

The best policy (for something that costs a few pence/cents) is to purchase an exact replacement.

Dave

0.47 µF is an unusual enough value that you have to assume that the design engineer had a good reason to use it. Without a schematic or circuit diagram, you can't be sure of its function, so play safe. Same for resistors.

Back