• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Retro Gathering under way

carlsson

Veteran Member
The first (?) Swedish Retro Gaming expo is held this weekend, mainly among forum members but also some external advertising.

The first evening is done. Most, but not all exhibitors and visitors arrived. There still is some empty tables, but it probably will be filled by tomorrow noon. Stonan (another guy at the place) took some photos so far:

Commodore and Atari 2600 corner, plus misc. Highlights a networked C64 w/ Contiki and some 40+ VIC cartridges. Some stuff for sale, most only exhibit.
http://www.stonan.com/rg2006/rg001.JPG

Sinclair/Timex at the far end (almost hidden in the picture, despite almost all Sinclair models are on exhibit - says something about how small these machines are). Also a hidden Oric-1. Along the window, an almost complete collection of Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy for various computers. Nearby my Amiga and BBC.
http://www.stonan.com/rg2006/rg002.JPG

A Vectrex collector unpacks his stuff; I think a total of 5-6 Vectrex systems of which some are for sale + games etc of course, including some recent homemade ones sold in limited edition.
http://www.stonan.com/rg2006/rg003.JPG

The Vectrex collector happened to bring a SX-64 (and some boxes of assorted "junk" as well). It is me to the right, playing a game.
http://www.stonan.com/rg2006/rg004.JPG

Already tonight, I counted more than 20 different systems, if each ZX Spectrum model should be counted separately. Perhaps even 25, as I didn't count the late arrivers with various handheld games. A few more obscure machines (SVI-318, TI-99, Microbee) without leads didn't even get table space, so they were put on a chair each.

Not sure. I heard over here they currently bring in around $150 each on online auction.

Oh yes, something funny happened quite early in the evening. A couple of people who had heard about the event stopped by to look, and one had brought a piece of retro computing to trade with.. an AGP Radeon something graphics card. Albeit in a box and perhaps four-five years old, he quickly realized the people on this retro meet probably were not in the field to have a major interest of that. :)

Is that a BBC Master Compact in the second picture? Its hard to tell...

They're so cool, a bit odd though. Don't see a lot of them over here.

Yes, it is my BBC Master Compact, that I bought from Dimitri's auctions last year. A couple of people had a look and halfheartedly asked if it was for sale, but noone made a serious offer. However, on Saturday I brought a B128 (CBM 610) and sold it for a very nice sum.

THB: yes, there were some Amigas and Atari ST, but those are generally not valued much, usually $25-30 each for an Amiga 500 or 520ST, a little more if you don't have to spend money on shipping or are desperate.

The Vectrex guy in the end negotiated very fair prices, and afterwards told he wanted to sell one more than he did. I'm almost regretting I didn't buy one.

Almost all the participants put up photo albums, and here is my own one:

http://www.anders.sfks.se/bilder.php?album=1

A comment about the trailer: the guy had bought a whole collection from the USA (!) and got it shipped over to Sweden. Then he had cleaned up every item (mainly Atari 2600 stuff, but a lot of other systems and peripherals) and made a list of items and recommended prices. Needless to say, this is NTSC 110V stuff so it needs some converters to be used over here. Time will tell how soon he will make profit on this deal; there were like 35-40 boxes full of various stuff, most of it inside the trailer but he brought some outside.

Last edited:
Oh yes, what did I buy, swap or sell?

Sold: CBM-610 and two boxed VIC-20 cartridges: HES Forth in shrink wrap but opened and VIC Forth completely sealed!

Swapped: Casio PB-700 w/ FA-10 expansion for an Atari Portfolio. The Casio had a crack on the display, the printer didn't work and the micro cassette was in uncertain condition.

Bought: Two loose Spinnaker C64 cartridges: Alphabet Zoo and Kindercomp, plus one more software item that I won't discuss other than it was grossly underpriced, in good condition but for the wrong system. I will probably keep it and return it to the former owner next time we meet.

Donated: A few mid 90'ties Amiga magazines and a broken G&W (without LCD screen, so really broken).

Didn't sell: Shrink-wrapped Barbarian (C64, Melbourne House). I've seen people on eBay trying to sell those in shrink-wrapped condition for 0.25 GBP and still don't get a bid. I also have a QuickShot IX (trackball lookalike joystick) that noone wanted, plus a few Commodore manuals I didn't expect to sell anyway. Needless to say, two completely mutilated 1530's, barely useful to build something into, also were impossible to give away.

Won in competition: two Nintendogs/DS-related t-shirts (one S, one XL), two DS-related wall posters plus a Nintendogs ball and mini flying disk.

Second edit: I also swapped a more or less broken ZX Spectrum 48K for a plastic toy car printed "Commodore", i.e. rubber for plastic. Those toy cars were commissioned by Commodore Sweden and are reported to bring in $15 each on online auction, maybe even more on eBay worldwide as few people internationally have seen one. I already own one (or perhaps two) since before, so now I have two or three such toy cars. One is a Ford, one is a Porsche and there is also at least a Volvo in the series.

Last edited:
vectrex.jpg

That kiosk/dome thing on the right is very cool!

Back