• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Revitalizing old floppy disks

Sydupe seems to be a Sytel edit, is that right Chuck?

Nope, it was a Sydex tool. And it's useful only if you have more than one FDC, mapped to a different I/O port, IRQ and DMA. That's not very comon. Much less a system with more than 2 floppy drives connected to those controllers. The configuration was large enough to support up to 12 floppy drives at once. I think one of our customers set up two tower cases, with the second one holding only drives.

Somewhere on this forum, I posted another formatting program, ConFormat that runs in the background (popup window). It was popular before GUIs. Otherwise, nothing out of the ordinary.

I wonder if your 5.25" disks are high-density when you're trying to format them as low, or vice-versa.

I know. :) However, since these were supposed to be preformatted, I thought I'd try it any way. There wasn't anything to lose by trying. And if one of the disks did respond, then there was that slim possibility of running the format/u to try to rescue the disk... At least that was my thought process at the time. Of course, I know better now, but I was and still am willing to try a few things before finally tossing them. Although I might strip the media from them to save the jackets... All for later discussion. Firtst I want to try doing what I can to see if anything works to save this lot. Then, if none of the programs work, I'll call them trashed.

Chkdsk, like any DOS command, only works on formatted disks.

I think that's the one I just got from ole juul. I'm getting ready to bring all of my floppy format tools over to Alice to see what happens. Then I'll post the results either later today, or tomorrow. I have a couple other projects I need to get into first though.

Try FreeForm... it might be able to do something the others don't.

Back