• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Scored 3 SGI Indys for $30.

Anonymous Freak

Veteran Member
My Indy is a bit low-end, so I've been on the prowl for another; and got an incredible deal.

Three "Indy"s for $30. One is a fully loaded Indy (sadly, still no IndyCam,) two are "Challenge S" server variants. Haven't booted 'em up yet (Now where did my 13W3 adapter wander off to?) but they were pulled from a production environment, so they should be good.

Now, I don't really need FOUR of the buggers, so does anyone on here want one? (I figure I'll keep one Indy and one Challenge S.)

And, I just discovered that SGI still offers support for the Indy! The thing was retired in 1997, yet they will continue to offer support until the end of 2012! Incredible lifespan there.

It is just regular PS/2 keyboards.

Not all SGI machines can use a PS/2 keyboard. I have an SGI Iris Indigo that uses a proprietary keyboard. It uses the same PS/2 style connector. Connecting a PS/2 style to the IRIS Indigo may damage the circuitry. I bought a converter like the one listed below and it works fine.

http://store.ckcomputersystems.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=245

http://cgi.ebay.com/SGI-Indigo-Onyx-PS-2-keyboard-mouse-converter-/150390405457

My Indy is a bit low-end, so I've been on the prowl for another; and got an incredible deal.

Three "Indy"s for $30. One is a fully loaded Indy (sadly, still no IndyCam,) two are "Challenge S" server variants. Haven't booted 'em up yet (Now where did my 13W3 adapter wander off to?) but they were pulled from a production environment, so they should be good.

I hope you got the passwords - or those Indys could end up being useless. A couple years ago I got a complete Indy setup for $20, but didn't realize I'd need passwords to use the damn thing. There was the Guest account, but what I could do was pretty limited (can't even change IP). I tried connecting the drive to Linux to edit the password file, but that just screwed the whole drive. Now I have a very nice paperweight.

I've got a spare IndyCam I'd be willing to trade for a SCSI drive with fresh IRIX install.

What processor? 4600? 4400? 5000?
I have hoinestly never seen a use for an Indy unless the specs were somewhat okay but any box I saw with 8-bit graphics sucked.

Edit: WHAT?!! I MISSED MY 1000th POST?! ;_;

I'm pretty sure the Indy is the one I ended up having to edit the raw drive and replace the encrypted password hash with one I already knew. Though I did eventually get someone to copy the Irix cds for me which I have some older version somewhere.

I hope you got the passwords - or those Indys could end up being useless. A couple years ago I got a complete Indy setup for $20, but didn't realize I'd need passwords to use the damn thing. There was the Guest account, but what I could do was pretty limited (can't even change IP). I tried connecting the drive to Linux to edit the password file, but that just screwed the whole drive. Now I have a very nice paperweight.

Well, on mine the guest account was enabled, and shadow passwords was not. I simply copied (as in read and copy by hand) the root line from /etc/passwd on the Indy to a text file on machine running my favorite unix-like os (FreeBSD) and ran Crack (or something like that) on the file. a few minutes later I had the password.

I used the guest account to copy the /etc/passwd file to a floppy disk then ran John the Ripper on my PC laptop. Got the root password in two minutes.

Not all SGI machines can use a PS/2 keyboard. I have an SGI Iris Indigo that uses a proprietary keyboard. It uses the same PS/2 style connector. Connecting a PS/2 style to the IRIS Indigo may damage the circuitry. I bought a converter like the one listed below and it works fine.

http://store.ckcomputersystems.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=245

http://cgi.ebay.com/SGI-Indigo-Onyx-PS-2-keyboard-mouse-converter-/150390405457

I know :) I have an Indigo myself. But you are right, since it can damage the lovely machines I should always point that out.

Last edited:
Back