• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SEGA Game Gear VA1 Schematic - HELP!

Ok good. Hrm guess there are sub revisions then on them. I'll get this cracked open after dinner and see if its the same.

So grabbed out yet another gamegear I forgot I got recently, its also a 2110. Having issues getting the security bit off. Can't find my game bit driver. Hrmmmm...

The small cutting sheers from my soldering toolbox to the rescue! Got it open and looks like yours, with the grey covered inductor. Give me a few dinner is about ready, have to find my jewelers scope.

Here's some good shots with my wifi microscope... And bet you see what I see. The caps are leaking. Guess I'll be recapping this soon.

Photo_2023-05-03 18_53_28_508.jpg

Crazy how a proper microscope nowadays isn't THAT much better than the macro camera on the latest iphones... technology is progressing so quickly. And yeah I don't see an obvious trace or anything coming out of it. Maybe it really does go nowhere and I just got lucky. Do you know if that's a possibility with this type of diode?

So top lead goes to the right of the resistor up top, the bottom left to the other side of the resistor, then bottom right goes to the trace to the right of it.

That tones out with your multimeter? That would be strange because there's no sign of a trace leading to that solder pad on my board.

Ok tested with my good Craftsman meter, with sharper probes, and lower left leg goes nowhere. Maybe first time i touched the resistor next to it ? 🤷‍♂️

Alright. Well. Guess my course is going to be to reattach with those two other legs and then move on then. Thanks for the help folks!

Crazy how a proper microscope nowadays isn't THAT much better than the macro camera on the latest iphones... technology is progressing so quickly. And yeah I don't see an obvious trace or anything coming out of it. Maybe it really does go nowhere and I just got lucky. Do you know if that's a possibility with this type of diode?
Best 25 bux I spent on amazon in a long time. Its a small WIFI microscope that uses your phone.

Thanks, I’ll check it out.

I got the diode back on. Wow, that was some incredibly fiddly work. Almost roasted a resistor that got STUCK to my iron… hope it’s ok. Looks ok. Hope this issue is behind me now! I’ll update when I get the caps in.
ADFF1298-0B92-4A22-BAB7-5A6302B5C323.jpeg

give that thing a nice wash with rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush, dont skimp on the alcohol. IT will remove the residue and flux. Let us know how it progresses.

Looking at all your vias in the photo a bunch are blackened, you may want to ream them out with a thin sewing needle to remove electrolyte and then test for continuity on the trace going to it and the trace coming out of it. I wouldnt be surprised if at least a couple vias are no conducting/making contact anymore.

I’ll be giving everything a good clean for sure :)

I’ve already tested the worst looking vias as I noticed that too, all still have continuity so I think they’re all good!

Then soak that thing in alcohol and scrub. Your most of the way there. I wish I kept a gamegear that I repaired. They didnt have any of these new screeens and mods at the time so I just fixed and sent them back. Shame I did own one for a while. IT was a friends who sold it to me some time in the late 90s. Had the tv tuner, battery pack. So I can say I was someone who had one. Now even the trashed ones are high in price. I thankfully still have an original gameboy I picked up with the last Game Gear I fixed for a few dollars. I have had a gameboy of some kind since they launched. I do plan on modding it at some point.

Can’t soak the thing because the screen is soldered on, and LCDs and IPA don’t mix. Will definitely scrub (carefully) with an IPA soaked toothbrush though.
This one isn’t mine to keep either though, I’m doing this repair for someone in the neighborhood who needed it done. So that’s to say I really really hope the darn thing works after all this is done!!!

Back