• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Serial PDP-8/e like computer?

>>> The PDP-8/S is largely based on transistorised flip-chips as opposed to integrated circuits.

I was thinking of the W706 and W707 teletype interface cards. Are these the ones that were in the base of the teletype?

Dave

This is a rack-mounted PT08 with a custom made variable baud rate generator. It should work with any negibus PDP-8.

BlU3HPvSKtyH52riaHT8PLe0V8-daJjFH-pD_a8l0LzDi7g9__BGNlgT9TzqcHNZlJPDkJ3Ci8Ed4Wx4gcHBjLIcCzmK_w3FT4jeMl11a79MUVSX=w1280

@thunter0512,
I hope this was not already posted, sorry if that's the case, did you see this project of Joe Wingbermuehle?
https://hackaday.io/project/178788-q2-computer
"The Q2 is a complete 12-bit bit-serial discrete transistor computer with a front-panel and user interface implemented on a single PCB using surface mount components.
The Q2 is my attempt at a single-board transistor computer. It is a 12-bit design with a bit-serial ALU. It is no coincidence that the architecture is similar to the PDP-8.
"

@thunter0512,
I hope this was not already posted, sorry if that's the case, did you see this project of Joe Wingbermuehle?
https://hackaday.io/project/178788-q2-computer
"The Q2 is a complete 12-bit bit-serial discrete transistor computer with a front-panel and user interface implemented on a single PCB using surface mount components.
The Q2 is my attempt at a single-board transistor computer. It is a 12-bit design with a bit-serial ALU. It is no coincidence that the architecture is similar to the PDP-8.
"
Thanks - I have seen this before.
A individual transistor based version is interesting, but not what I am exploring.

My goal is to build a TTL IC (SSI and MSI) version of the 8/s with support for an 8/e instruction set.

I was inspired by the series of articles in an Electronics Australia article series by Jamieson Rowe in 1974: Build your own digital computer

Here is a Wikipedia article about it: Wikipedia EDUC-8

The EDUC-8 is functionally very close to a PDP-8/s even though it is a 8-bit CPU. It wouldn't take much to extend the design to 12 bit.

Back