• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

So how many cores are enough these days?

Unknown_K

Veteran Member
For fun I won a 2 CPU x 4 core XEON cpu/motherboard the other day on ebay (2.0ghz XEON E5405 12MB cache) since it was dirt cheap $27 shipped just add RAM. Figured I would use it for a video editing box (needed something to stick a PCI-X Targa 3100 card into). Not sure how well 8 cores will do with rendering captured video into DVD format or even if I need that many for an old 2k/xp era setup.

Having multiple cores is kind of cool, but I don't think any older apps really use more then a few cores if that. My main machine is a 4 core Opteron.

How many cores do you guys have and what actually uses them all?

I have 4 cores on several systems. Video encoding, software development and virtual machines will use up all the cores. With current prices and turbo ability, the quad-core will in the worse case perform like a fast dual core for only a slight increase in total system cost but offer the promise of much faster results in the cases where the extra cores can be used.

Some of the recent bottom rung boxes use tablet optimized designs - lots of cores, low power consumption, minimal performance. Don't like those. A mainstream dual core will be faster even in workloads like video encoding that use many cores with only a slight increase in power consumption.

Video encoding is the only thing that gets my quad core working at full load.
I'm running an i7 quad overclocked to 4Ghz, and my partner runs a Core i3 dual that turbos to 3.8. For general use, you can't tell the difference.

Well, if you are running Symantec Antivirus you can kiss the use of one of your cores good bye. :p Or have they finally fixed it to constantly hog all cores?

I remember when multi-core and hyperthreaded CPUs started to become common the big advantage was simply keeping any one application from making the entire machine grind to a halt.

Avast can lock up a core too sometimes, same with IE when a tab crashes. I just looked and I have 63 processes on this machine taking up 2-7% CPU (4 core) and 32% RAM (8GB) with only explorer, bitlord, Windows live mail, and IE with 4 tabs running.

It REALLY hinges on what you are doing... and in many ways it helps more if you are thinking applicationS instead of just one application. Development work and content generation is a great example.

If you are using VM's to test code builds or programs unavailable on your host OS, more cores will pay off VERY quickly.

Web development is a great area for this since quite often you'll be running four separate browsers at once for testing native AND two VM's to run the browsers that won't run native -- For example if you're on Windows you can run everything except Safari or on the Mac you can't run IE native -- or if need be you may end up running VM's to test for IE7 and 8 since 11's emulation pre-9 is kinda-sketchy. You also would be testing on the three different OS just to see how the differences in default font rendering impacts design -- particularly when FF for OSX has major rendering differences from Linux and Windows... in addition to all those browsers you would likely have a paint program of some sort like Photoshop running, multiple text editor sessions (one each for HTML and CSS, multiple PHP and JS files), and so forth. The text editors don't eat enough CPU to count that much, but Photoshop will use multiple cores, those VM definitely need them, and the browsers can really chew on CPU if the sites you are working on are particularly heavy on the scripttardery. See 90%+ of modern forum software with it's endless "JS for nothing and your scripts for free. That ain't working, that's not how you do it. Lemme tell ya, these guys ARE dumb.". The multiple cores pays off even more when you start doing things like running local server testing via things like XAMPP, or mirrors of your online server in a VM. Keeping a local copy of my online hosting lets me play with configuration settings without banjaxing the live server; since LIVE editing on hosting is one of the DUMBEST things developer can do -- no matter what halfwits at places like Adobe claim. Remember, the only thing about Dreamweaver that can be considered professional grade tools are the people promoting it's use!

Same goes for software development -- multiple editor environments, multiple test environments... being able to review code, archive and test old builds and work on 'content generation' while a new build is compiling without any of them impacting each-other is damned handy and damned powerful. Content generation like working with 3d models in blender or Max, or doing deep renders in either of those while code is building? Sweet.

Games don't currently make a lot of use of multiple cores, though that is changing as many so called "AAA" releases are now going 64 bit only. See big budget indie titles like "Star Citizen", or major releases like the upcoming "Witcher 3". CPU is FINALLY going to start being as important as the GPU as developers start to realize that there are a good number of PC gamers who WILL pay for PC optimized games instead of piss poor ports of console titles...

Though if you are going to have a system with that type of CPU setup, do yourself a favor and migrate past XP. XP is GREAT if you are dicking around with less than 3 gigs of RAM with 32 bit code -- at the VERY LEAST track down a copy of XP x64 so you can have access to more than that, though I'd suggest Win7 so you have proper access to the CPU's VT-x support. (which is tragically crippled under XP). Modern video editing software and modern codecs will DEFINITELY use the added capability, and of course if you're going to build a setup with eight cores are you REALLY going to cheap out on the RAM like that?

You could also go with a 64 bit linsux flavor instead of winblows, but the dearth of practical applications beyond e-mailling granny and watching prawns and pathetic WM's make it something of a tinkertoy as a desktop OS. Remember, Linsux is for Servers, Winblows is for desktops, OSuX is the best AND worst of both worlds. They all blow chunks, just in different ways.

How many cores do you guys have and what actually uses them all?

My development workstation / NAS is a Celeron J1900. It's a low power 10 watt quad core that handles the multiple VM's and programs I have running during development quite nicely... most of the reason it handles running so much at once is more about RAM and cores than it is CPU speed... which is why I have 16 gigs of RAM in that machine in addition to the 12TB of storage exposed to the LAN.

Switching to high ram 2.4ghz 4 physical cores at 10 watts knocked $30 off my power bill given that rig is left on 24/7. (did I mention it's also my NAS). Unlike krebizgan I'm loving the new low power consumption "performance per watt" -- but it comes down to what you need it for. That's why I retasked my old box...

My old workstation was ridiculous overkill -- which is why it's now my media/game center in the living room. i7 4770k, 8 gigs RAM (was 24, guess where that 16 went) and a GTX 770. As I said modern games are finally starting to use it, so I'm well equipped for quite some time on anything I'd like to play. Dragon Age Inquisition actually shows activity on all 4 physical and 4 virtual cores -- and with changes to .ini files even some older titles like Skyrim can use them. (though not completely).

... and of course still having that machine available on the LAN is handy in the handful of cases where that little low-power celery isn't up to the task.

You could also go with a 64 bit linsux flavor instead of winblows, but the dearth of practical applications beyond e-mailling granny and watching prawns and pathetic WM's make it something of a tinkertoy as a desktop OS. Remember, Linsux is for Servers, Winblows is for desktops, OSuX is the best AND worst of both worlds. They all blow chunks, just in different ways.

Really? I've been using Linux with the occasional foray to Windows only for old legacy programs. I haven't noticed any issues--and no viruses.

My current desktop is a Dell T5400. Two quad core Xeon X5450 @ 3.0 ghz, 32GB RAM, 256GB SSD, topped off with a cheap GeForce GTX 550Ti. 7-zip uses all 8 cores, video editing might. Haven't tried virtual machines yet, only had it a few months. I know it's overkill, but I decided to max it out from the start rather than upgrade later. Running 64 bit Windows 7 if it matters.

Really? I've been using Linux with the occasional foray to Windows only for old legacy programs. I haven't noticed any issues--and no viruses.
Yeah, same here. For day to day use I'm finding using Linux as desktop OS rather trouble free. It's not like I'm using the latest incarnation either. I'm guessing d_s is after a reaction. He does go on a bit. Oh well there it was then ;)

Last edited:
I mixes and matches. With multiple multicore machines running multiple different operating systems (includes VMs), I've found that recent software will take advantage of multiple cores. XP Pro/32 seldom uses more than one core. Vista/7 32/64 will use multiple cores for browsers and office applications. Flight simulators seldom use more than one core and make heavy use of video cards. Vitualbox makes full use of multiple cores. I use MSE on Windows which doesn't really stress windows systems. Antivirus on Linux? My computing habits seldom endanger my computers: I do use Clam, though. 1) FX-6100 2)Phenom II 945 3)Phenom 9550 3)Phenom II 550 4) 2 Athlon X2 5000+ 5) Intel E4400.

Depends on what you use it for. I find WM's under linux -- ALL of them -- to be usability train wrecks; they do a very good job of LOOKIING functional, but to be frank even Thunar - the bleeding edge best of file management in the Open Source world -- feels like a tinkertoy compared to Windows 3.x's file manager when it comes to actually doing things.

Even just the simple job of opening a program... you click on it's launcher and stick your thumb up your ass when there's no disk activity, no cursor changes, no audio queues to indicate it's obeyed what you told it to do, so you try again, 30 seconds later it up and decides to open ten copies of what you wanted. Of course when you complain about that 99% of the jacktards working on such things say "why aren't you just using the command line?" -- My response usually being "Yeah, well **** you too buddy!"

Funny since I'm quite fluent in SH and no stranger to the command line... but for a lot of simple tasks dicking around on the command line is backwards outdated BS. Said backwards outdated BS guaranteed to make most DESKTOP users tell you where to stick it!

... and to be frank for desktop tasks if I wanted to spend half my life dicking around on the command line for the simplest of things I'd drag the Model 16 running Xenix out of storage... and by simplest of things I mean like ACTUALLY setting a video mode since it refuses to see the native resolution of anything I own or having it so the speakers come back on after waking from sleep, getting anything more than stereo audio playback configured and level-set to the room properly, etc, etc...

Then of course there's freetype's fugly assed useless text kerning; where I end up having the overwhelming urge to pimp slap whoever wrote it when the stupid thing can't even render the same word twice the same way on the same page. ...though nowhere near as bad as what LibreOffice and OpenOffice have the giant pair of donkey brass to call kerning!

That's without even TALKING software; GIMP is a toy compared to most real paint programs from the Win 3.1 era (Even Aldus Photostyler blows blows it out of the water), LibreOffice is useless for actually working with text (and similarly afflicted on Winblows -- it be spacin g!), Blender renders 30% faster on windows, there's no ACCURATE equivalent to 3DS Max, I STILL have yet to find a text editor that doesn't piss me off Wordstar style (gEdit or SCITE being the best of the lot) -- so to do anything USEFUL I'm either relying on Wine of VirtualBox so I have access to REAL programs.

... and to be frank I'm not rocking a GTX770 on my media center or GTX560ti on my workstation to have the graphics performance of a decade old 8800GTS.

MUCH of the problem can be blamed on the dead albatross hung around the neck of most *nix flavors known as X11 implementations. There's a reason when turning Linux into Android and Mach3 into Darwin that both Google and Apple respectively gave X11 the finger -- in Apple's case BARELY supporting it by running a X11 server on top of their graphics stack instead of the other way around. That they stopped including on the distro disks ages ago and NOBODY gives a flying **** about anymore! THANKFULLY there is movement away from X11 (ABOUT TIME!!!) on Linsux but it's still not "ready for primetime". There's a reason all these WM's and application toolkits came into being. Motif, GTK, OpenLook, QT -- none of these would even EXIST if the ENTIRE X-Server methodology -- from a programmer's standpoint -- didn't get down on it's knees to inhale the proverbial equine of short stature's nether regions.

For me and my purposes Linux is almost as big a toy on the desktop as OSX is on the "Fisher Price my first computer"... I can't even find a task manager that's as useful as what Windows has let me do since 1995; admittedly I turn off "combine", turn off large icons, turn off "customized menus", and set it to portrait mode where it's USEFUL.

KEEP IN MIND, I can attack Winblows just as well -- don't get me STARTED about ASIO support. They all suck, just in their own way making each of them a "best tool for the job" instead of "one size fits all".

I LOVE Debian as a server OS (not so wild about some other flavors -- outright HATE Red Hat legacy flavors of linsux like CentOS or Fedora), but on the desktop? Pathetically crippled tinkertoy. I've yet to find a distro that's wasn't pathetically crippled and annoying for desktop use, nor have I been able to custom build one. X11, Freetype, lack of proper file management and lack of quality applications topping the list of shortcomings.

Just like how Windows is a bloated and insecure mess as a server, and how the only two things I can praise on crApple's stuff is program installation/removal and it's ASIO support -- the rest of it being useless crippled rubbish living up to the old joke "First week you own a Mac you'll be amazed by what it can do, rest of your life you'll be amazed by what it can't."

... and yes, I do use all three regularly. Right tool for the right job. Though I'm becoming increasingly pissed off at the developers of all OS dicking around with new gooftard graphics and presentational BS while sticking their heads in the sand over functionality and usability issues -- though to keep that in perspective I consider Win98 the bleeding edge of UI design and everything since to be massive steps backwards... another reason I like windows as at least up until version 8 I can turn all the extra crap off and dial the clock back to when the OS was useful and professional instead of looking like it was made by playschool.

About the only real improvement in UI design since 1998 IMHO being windows "snap" -- it's being missing from Windows 8 just being more proof of what a giant middle finger Win8 was to desktop and laptop users... thankfully it's back in 8.1 but that's a case of too little too late.

Last edited:
C'mon windas98 was just a continuation of the windas95 theme and then they ****ed it up by integrating that ****tard browser stuff.

C'mon windas98 was just a continuation of the windas95 theme and then they ****ed it up by integrating that ****tard browser stuff.
True, but it also introduced quick launch... which until "snap" was the last real improvement to the UI. But you're right, there was a whole slew of crap that needed to be turned off as well. That's true most every time anyone introduces a new OS and UI -- and another reason Windows is WIN in that department as they most often (at least until 8 ) give you the option to turn that garbage off. An alien concept to Mac and Linux dev's.

Last edited:
One reason I use XFCE is there isn't much crap to turn off to start with. Everything I've put on this setup seems to be functioning fine. Only annoying thing so far is Seamonkey deciding it wants to be the default image viewer.

Edit- Now thats fixed.

Last edited:
Same here--I use the Xubuntu x64 variant. And VirtualBox for Windows. I run DOS code with dosemu. I don't notice any of the delays mentioned.

Now Linux for servers, I can't argue with--I've got a very old Debian ("Squeeze", I think) running on a thin client that handles firewall, routing and email--and internet radio. It gets rebooted about once a year, just for the heck of it.

To be sure, there are some old Windows programs that I use because no exact equivalent exists in Linux--for example, Sibelius. I can run some versions under WINE, but it's just easier to use XP in a VM--again, no problems; all my devices work--even my device programmers. Even better, I don't have to do any configuration magic if I move XP from one system to another--I just copy the VirtualBox files for that task.

My email client is Thunderbird, my browsers are Firefox and Opera--on both XP and Linux. The only issue I have is that ISA devices aren't supported--but then, my Linux system doesn't have any ISA slots...

And here I was worried this would turn in to an AMD vs Intel thread!

For me -
Linux = servers (usually Debian), and slower hardware (take a second hand Vista machine, throw on a Linux distro, and it flies)
Windows 7 = home/business use

While I do think that many open source titles are designed by people who don't understand what 'intuitive' means and that is partly why I continue with Windows 7, I would have to disagree with any of it being labelled as toys. There have been times with Windows where my machine has become unresponsive and I've had trouble getting to the task manager - but on Linux I've never had trouble opening a console, typing ps ax, and force killing a process :)

JDallas - yeah if you don't need anything new, no requirement to change.

I switched from the laptop to the notebook the other day - something wrong with the laptop charging circuitry. The laptop was single core, the notebook dual core.. and there's a big difference in usage. The reason is that Firefox tend to stay at 60-100% CPU for long periods, this seems to be something with javascript - sometimes I can stop the CPU hogging by leaving some Google sites, for example.
But with that extra core Firefox can have its own core. And I get to use the other. Now, I'm not sure if that's what multiple cores were meant for. It helps though..

I wrote a blog about the 'multicore myth' a few years ago, which touches on most relevant subjects I suppose: https://scalibq.wordpress.com/2012/06/01/multi-core-and-multi-threading/
In short, number of cores is about as useless a figure as the clock frequency, without any additional context.
I partly wrote it because a lot of people seem to forget that a single core can multitask just fine. And theoretically, if you can choose between two cores of speed X, and one core of speed 2X, the single core is preferred, since it can multitask as well as two cores of speed X by timeslicing, while it can perform single-threaded tasks twice as fast.

Given the current state of per-core performance of Intel vs AMD, this is something to consider.

Back