• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

So I finally got my hands on a Compaq Contura 3/25! But, backlight issues...

Nevermind about the "no ill effects" part. The computer stopped POSTing on me today - sometimes I get a power light and nothing else, while other times I get one long beep followed by two short beeps, but in any case nothing displays on the screen. Tested the power supply with the parts machine and it POSTs fine, so I can safely assume my power supply isn't at fault here.

Probably a power issue caused by the caps on the motherboard, since one of them fell off entirely and another is visibly leaking. Even better that I have absolutely no experience w/ soldering SMT capacitors, but I've looked at some tutorials and it doesn't seem too difficult. Will get some replacements ordered and will update yet again.

Remember to practice on a parts or junk board first - never give your first go on a thing you care about. I got into surface mount capacitor replacement about a year and a half ago and it isn’t that difficult to learn. As long as you have a steady hand, practice, and some patience, you can get it done. Good luck!

The markings on the top of the cap that fell off are as follows:

P2P
16V

Obviously the voltage is self-explanatory but what uF value should I order (47uF if I'm not mistaken)? In any case, ordering a bunch of them to screw around with before I attempt to recap the motherboard won't be a problem. Worst come the worst I can always grab the motherboard out of my parts machine, but I know that one too will eventually need to be recapped.

The markings on the top of the cap that fell off are as follows:

P2P
16V

Obviously the voltage is self-explanatory but what uF value should I order (47uF if I'm not mistaken)? In any case, ordering a bunch of them to screw around with before I attempt to recap the motherboard won't be a problem. Worst come the worst I can always grab the motherboard out of my parts machine, but I know that one too will eventually need to be recapped.
It’s 47uf, for sure.

The bad news is that two things still suck:
  • My soldering skills
  • Lead-free solder
The good news is that after getting so frustrated with the crappy solder that came with my new iron, I switched to a spool of tried-and-true leaded rosin core solder and the repair went fairly smoothly. Also noticed before soldering the new caps on that two others (of the old ones) were leaking and basically fell off, without having to use any amount of force to twist them off the board. Anyhow, she now boots up just fine!

Still need to replace the CMOS battery and put some epoxy on the hinge standoffs (just as a safety precaution) but at last, I can finally enjoy playing DOOM on a glorious passive-matrix grayscale screen on a computer that's barely fast enough to run it - but that's the whole beauty of gaming on these systems! :D

but at last, I can finally enjoy playing DOOM on a glorious passive-matrix grayscale screen on a computer that's barely fast enough to run it - but that's the whole beauty of gaming on these systems! :D
Amen to that!

Here it is running Windows 3.1 and a few of my favorite games
IMG_1331.JPG
Compaq Windows 3.1 splash screen

IMG_1326.JPG
Why did he spill that milk?

IMG_1328.JPG
DOOM. The framerate is actually not too bad, likely helped by the slower response time of the display and fact this machine was upgraded to 12 MB of RAM at some point, but the HDD is a bit slow for this game. Still, DOOM is DOOM and I'll play it on a damn toaster if I have to...

IMG_1337.JPG
The Contura having a LapLink conversation with its Zenith brother. Both of these machines have very similar specs overall (including the same processor) though the Zenith has a color screen versus the grayscale one on the Contura. The contrast is a bit better on the Compaq though.

IMG_1339.JPG
Crashing spectacularly in Stunts. I know the photo sucks, but this game actually looks great on this machine!

Back