• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SO what does a 1000 (US) Dollar monitor look like darn neat 17 years later

Osgeld

Experienced Member
in very late 1999 I was living at home, making for my 20 year old mind, quite some bank. I was still living at home (months away from discovering the real world) paid off car and a total computer nerd.

So what did I do?

Of course buy a 1000 (US) dollar LCD screen (and a car I couldnt really afford)

Mistusbushi E85 LCD

http://www.cnet.com/products/mitsubishi-e85lcd-lcd-monitor-18-1/specs/

and its not lived a easy life, its seen windows 98 till windows 7 as my primary monitor until I finally broke down and bought a HP LV2311 1080 widecreen in 2013 (i sacraficed 85Hz to 75 hz to get a widescreen in a matte finish for under 130 bucks) . Where does it live now? of course on my workbench computer doing all sorts of electronics hackery, EDA and CAD, still getting hours of use a day.

Although yes the screen is dimmer and the whites are more yellow today its still being used every single day as the display to my most important work ... work lol, at just over 1000$ usd after sales taxes of the time, that puts me at about 59 bucks a year, while still being greeted with ...

IMG_20160530_180128895_HDR.jpg

here's for making it to 20 years old, a irresponsible decision that turned out great

Last edited:
So what resolution is that thing (spec you linked to had everything else but that important info).

I paid $800 for a Sony 17 SF monitor in the 90's (CRT), still have it and still works. Early LCD monitors sucked compared to CRT ones which at the time were dirt cheap compared to what they used to cost.

I have three 1600SW's which were also manufactured by Mitsubishi.
I seem to recall that at $2000 each they were the best LCD's on the planet back in 1998.

My main computer monitor on my desktop systems has, for several years now, been a Hitachi SuperScan CM812 21" CRT monitor. According to the label on the back, it was made in November 1998. Not sure how much it cost when new, but it probably wasn't cheap. I inherited it from my grandparents several years back when they got new computers which came with flatscreen monitors. They actually had two of these behemoths; I'm not sure off-hand what happened to the other one. Here's a picture of it, along with two of my Macs:

gangofthree.jpg

Its picture may not be as bright or colorful as modern LCDs, but it's still quite capable. The maximum resolution it can handle is 1600x1200, which is probably nothing compared to some of the giant screens available today, but it's worked quite nicely with my assortment of older Power Macs. A couple of years ago, I took one of those color tests using it, and managed to score a 15 (lower scores are better). Not bad for a 15+ year old jug of leaded glass! :D
-Adam

Where do you live now, the street?

I've lived at home as long as I can remember.

The yellowing on the screen can sometimes be fixed by replacing the backlight. They tend to turn yellow or in extreme cases, red as they get old and worn out.

I've replaced bad/aging CCFLs on numerous monitors with those 600 LED rolls you can get on fleabay from China with good results. The only downside is that the brightness is fixed unless you want to rig up some fancy circuitry.

its not even noticable until you stick a much newer screen next to it, like I did last year when I had a 18 inch Dell with a LED backlight butted up against it

Back