• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Soldering station for home? Hakko?

Bobthearch

Experienced Member
What sort of soldering stations do you guys have for home use? Specifically, is anyone familiar with Hakko products, like the FX-888?

At work I use a OKI and I've been around the Metcal stations, but I don't want to spend that much for occasional home use.

I've got a Hexacon Select-o-trac. Great irons, I highly recommend them. They're also cheaply available used on eBay. Mine came from an eBay lot purchased by my boss...I think we got 6 guaranteed working irons (some without sleeves) for less than $50. I've got a huge stock of tips (thousands, measured in tens of pounds) from a surplus buy if anyone gets a Hexacon and needs cheap tips!

I have a Hakko 936 solder station. Workhorse unit... There are local manufacturing plants that have used these models for 20 years w/o a hitch. I also have a Gordak SMD rework station picked up quite cheaply and quite new from eBay for $60, surprisingly. It's a Hakko clone, and from the reviews I read around on Google, no one had any complaints about them - and kudos that they use Hakko tips and elements since that's what I already had.

FWIW, when I was researching what soldering station to purchase a few years ago, Aoyue always received high praise.

Back