• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Solid State Solutions for IBM PC 5170

lyonadmiral

Veteran Member
Hello Friends

I've spent a good portion of today reading old threads on the XT-IDE being used in the 5162 or the 5170. Lot's of useful information there. The take away is that I'd have to use a non IBM BIOS in order to fully use the XT-IDE. If that isn't accurate please let me know.

Has there been any development on a solid state replacement for MFM drives like there has been for the PS/2 Model 25 or 30? I think those solutions are innovative and nifty. I'd really like to increase the storage if I can while leaving as much original hardware in the device as I can. (i.e. IBM BIOS, IBM FD/HD Controller).

Thanks,
Daniel

Daniel, why not use a simple 16-bit IDE adapter with the 5170? An IDE-to CF adapter can be used to get to a CF card--and you get the benefit of full ISA 16-bit access. Driver overlays will get you extended capacity. At least that's my thinking...

I've spent a good portion of today reading old threads on the XT-IDE being used in the 5162 or the 5170. Lot's of useful information there. The take away is that I'd have to use a non IBM BIOS in order to fully use the XT-IDE. If that isn't accurate please let me know.
If some of the old posts are of mine, note that I subsequently discovered that an XT-class power supply that I was using at the time, created 'strange' issues when an XT-IDE card was plugged into an IBM 5170 motherboard.

Subsequent testing of mine using an AT-class power supply revealed different results for the IBM 5170 motherboard. The results are shown in note 1 at the bottom of [here]. So, with the IBM 5170, there appears only to be a problem if the motherboard BIOS is dated 01/10/84, and one answer for that is to upgrade to a later version of the IBM BIOS.

I do not own an IBM 5162 motherboard, but I am sure that @Malc will indicate that there is no expected problem there.

I do not own an IBM 5162 motherboard, but I am sure that @Malc will indicate that there is no expected problem there.
Indeed no problems with my IBM 5162 with stock IBM Bios / XUB / 16-bit IDE/Floppy controller
Same with my IBM 5170 with type 3 motherboard / stock IBM Bios / 16-bit IDE/Floppy controller
Also tested with 8-bit XT-IDE controller.

Daniel, why not use a simple 16-bit IDE adapter with the 5170? An IDE-to CF adapter can be used to get to a CF card--and you get the benefit of full ISA 16-bit access. Driver overlays will get you extended capacity. At least that's my thinking...
Depending on his situation, he would be hoping that he does not encounter the '601' problem described at [here] in the 'Known problem - POST error of 601' section.

The IBM 5162 is similarly affected.

( An XT-IDE can be added, leaving the stock IBM 'combo' controller in place to support the floppy drive/s, and that will also prevent the '601' error. )

Last edited:
Once upon a time, many moons ago I had a SIIG IDE controller (that's all it did) I haven't seen one on eBay since... Unless you have any recommendations as to a good adapter card that would not throw a fit.

Back