• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Sony CPD-1302 Multisync EGA Trinitron arrived with broken CRT neck... replaceable?

Ozzuneoj

Experienced Member
I'm hoping this thing isn't forever destined for the scrap pile, because it's an extremely useful monitor and seems to be quite rare.

I haven't dismantled it yet, but I figured I should get this question out there now, because I'm almost certain it will need a new tube if it is ever going to work again.

I will post more information later this evening when I get time. For now I have attached pictures of the screen which obviously has damage from the inside, and one of the pieces of glass that fell out of the monitor when I opened the package. There are more like it, and I'm thinking it is from the neck of the tube.

Another member over on VOGONS found that the tube part number is M34JNQ15X and I found this document which states that it may also be referred to as SD-175.

If anyone is familiar with swapping trinitron tubes, or knows of similar monitors that may use a tube like this (or anyone who HAS tubes like this), any input would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210316_133202 (Small).jpg
    20210316_133202 (Small).jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210316_133220 (Small).jpg
    20210316_133220 (Small).jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 1
Good luck with that one--locating old trinitron bottles can be a daunting task.

At one time, I had two of the 1302s--they'll also do VGA up to 800x600.

The only places I know of possibly finding stray jugs is a few of the arcade and gaming shops that refurb and sell PVM's. The main issue is that if a Trinitron is still good they're worth money, even as parts.

...and pardon me plugging like this but if you decide to part ways with that monitor I'd be interested in the carcass, minus the CRT itself. ;)

Thanks for the information guys.

I know it's a long shot. I'm just trying to make sure I cover all the possible solutions before giving up on it. It's probably the only one of these, and possibly the only EGA monitor I'll ever get my hands on.

How universal are Trinitron tubes? If I found a 13" Trinitron TV or VGA monitor (not likely...) do they, in general, have any chance of being compatible? If so, I might just hang onto it, just in case one ever turns up. If it would only work with a tube from a similar Sony multisync from this exact time period, my chances are pretty slim of ever getting a replacement tube from a monitor that isn't worth keeping on it's own.

The CPD-1404S uses the same tube, and that's a 1024x768 VGA monitor.
https://www.manualscenter.com/manuals/sony/cpd1404-service-manual.html

Are there any other brands of monitors or TVs that used Trinitron tubes that might be compatible?

HP used some Trinitrons early on, but I can't say for certain if any used that exact CRT.

A Sony TV with 13" tube is unlikely going to give you the same image quality. Most Trinitron TVs of the time used something like 0.31" dot pitch; the reason I purchased the 1302 was because it was something like 0.25", which was a big selling point to me.

I think I still have the service manual for the 1302, somewhere.

HP used some Trinitrons early on, but I can't say for certain if any used that exact CRT.

A Sony TV with 13" tube is unlikely going to give you the same image quality. Most Trinitron TVs of the time used something like 0.31" dot pitch; the reason I purchased the 1302 was because it was something like 0.25", which was a big selling point to me.

I think I still have the service manual for the 1302, somewhere.

I figured there'd be an issue like that with using a tube from a TV. Would it be likely that one would "work" though? I honestly don't even know how they attach, since I've never removed one. Is it mostly just a matter of physical size and shape as long as it is a Trinitron?

Also, the manuals are thankfully here at Bitsavers:
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/sony/monitor/CPD-1302/

... makes me so frustrated though. With full service manuals I could have fixed nearly ANYTHING on this monitor for years to come... except for the tube.

I can offer nothing as to interchangeability. "Try it and see" may be your only alternative.

Any chance that you or anyone else has a service manual for a Sony CPD-1320 VGA monitor? There is actually one for sale within 2 hours drive of me, supposedly tested and working.

It seems very similar to the CPD-1404 which uses the same tube as the CPD-1302.

If I could verify that it uses the same tube, I'd probably go buy it. It likely has some other similar components too being that it's from 1989.

I don't like to harvest parts from working devices normally, but in my opinion it makes sense in situations where the device taking the donor parts does 90% of what the donor does (VGA up to 800x600 rather than 1024x768), but it also does far far more (CGA, PGA, MDA, plus using custom cables).

Back