• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Spam asking for your personal data - what's the purpose?

A like these two spam specimens:

Please, dial this "special-tariff" phone number so we can explain to you further:

spam5.png

Here, the bot program misbehaved and the spam email is missing parts of the body:

spam6.png

lol I get a handful daily unfortunately due to the length of years my address has been out there, but some simple spam filtering software and it might lighten the load or at least get it out of your direct view. Having to sort through that amount of garbage regularly would be quite annoying.

I used to have a lot of fun scam-baiting (reversing the scam to make a fool of the crook), but after a while, I stopped getting those kinda emails. I think someone in the electronic jungles of deepest, darkest Scameria has compiled a huge master list of "Marks who scam the scammers"...

--T

What kind of guy do you take me for anyway? I wouldn't think of keeping all his money. I did send him a real nice x-mas present...

Ok, ok, I was just asking, as you didn't state the final destination of that money which rained on you... :D

some simple spam filtering software and it might lighten the load or at least get it out of your direct view. Having to sort through that amount of garbage regularly would be quite annoying.

I only get about one or two spams a day, which is good so I can stay informed on the latest scamming techniques out there.

I only get about one or two spams a day, which is good so I can stay informed on the latest scamming techniques out there.

I envy you. I'm lucky if I get one a month. ;) I do use a professionally managed mail server though, so I don't even have to filter out legitimate stuff. You could send me your bookmarks in the body of an e-mail and I'd still get them.

However, the mail server from Nethop.net, my ISP, is something else! I get ones just like this recent one - over and over. I excuse them, because they're a small operation and can't afford the time to run a proper mail server like they can at the server company that I use.
---- Nethop.net Technical Services-----

Dear: Nethop.net Subscriber,

This message is from Nethop.net
messaging centre to all Nethop.net
webmail users. You have exceeded your email
quota limit of 450MB, and you are there by
advice to expand your email quota limit
within 48 hours. You need to upgrade your
email quota limit to 6.5GB in order to
ensure that you do not experience service
Interruption, you must reply to this email
immediately by providing your account
details as stated in the below link.

http://web-on line.us/user/upgrade

Failure to submit your user name and
password will render your email
address in-active from our database.

Thank you for using our web-mail.

Checkout new features and enhancements with
our newly improved and secured webmail.

Note: it will not cost you anything to
upgrade your webmail.

----Copyright © 1997-2011 Webmail
Technical Services!. All rights
reserved-----

Anyone still get those snail-mail warnings warning you that your domain registration is about to expire and asking you to sign a form and include a check? I got one of those about a month ago--I didn't think that scam was still operating. What they're after, of course, is your domain registration.

...However, the mail server from Nethop.net, my ISP, is something else! I get ones just like this recent one - over and over. I excuse them, because they're a small operation and can't afford the time to run a proper mail server like they can at the server company that I use.
---- Nethop.net Technical Services-----

Dear: Nethop.net Subscriber,

This message is from Nethop.net messaging centre to all Nethop.net webmail users. You have exceeded your email quota limit of 450MB, and you are there by advice to expand your email quota limit within 48 hours.
Exactly the same as what I get about once a month (including "there by advice" ;-)), purportedly from Toronto FreeNet (except for the different ISP & link):
---- Torfree.net Technical Services-----

Dear: Torfree.net Subscriber,

This message is from Torfree.net messaging centre, to all Torfree.net webmail users.

Last edited:
Anyone still get those snail-mail warnings warning you that your domain registration is about to expire and asking you to sign a form and include a check? I got one of those about a month ago--I didn't think that scam was still operating. What they're after, of course, is your domain registration.
I used to get those, they used that sneaky way to try to move your domain registration with them instead of renewing your domain with your current domain registry company - but they presented the case in a sneaky way as if transferring the domain registration with them was the domain renewal itself.

I don't get those anymore, now my whois information is 100% fake.

I just got this data-hoarding scam email spam:

spamep.png

You got to appreciate the sheer beauty of it: pure minimalism to achieve the scam communication, it's just wonderful.

I have fun looking at the <a href= in the message source of phishing spam. I'm sure that Citibank will be using a url like "someserver.ru/ckfur83i2.php" to log me on to my online banking account :)

I have fun looking at the <a href= in the message source of phishing spam. I'm sure that Citibank will be using a url like "someserver.ru/ckfur83i2.php" to log me on to my online banking account :)

Yep, that's a funny one. I also look at the "Reply to:" in the header. Most mail programs show the "From:" but that isn't necessarily where a reply will be sent of course. I just check these things out for fun. Once one catches on, there's really no mistaking spam.

Chuck(G) said:
Anyone still get those snail-mail warnings warning you that your domain registration is about to expire and asking you to sign a form and include a check?

I haven't gotten one, but saw one a few years ago when a neighbour showed me one - asking me what he should do. He thought that someone else was looking after this for him, and didn't understand (still doesn't). It took me a little while to see through this - especially since the person who got it didn't have a clue. It's quite devious. Somebody who's job it is to pay bills and who may not be in on the web site arrangement, could easily pay this by mistake.

I was delighted to receive this plain-English, no-nonsense, straight forward spam email, so I'm sharing it:

20130208spamscam.png

I think it's funny that the origin of the email is from a Nancy when it says his name is Gary.

I think Nancy, whom is in a K12 educational location, knows nothing about keeping their school computer secure. Oh those poor kids, their grades are hacked!

Back