• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Strange (to me) case on this c64

That was an after market case if I remember right in the early 80's they were a bullnose/breadbin case replacement.
They looked really cool in the day before the C64c!!

Wasn't that case made exclusively for the Australian market? I seem to remember there was a reason why Commodore could not deliver true C64C and somehow allowed a third party replacement shell that mimics the shape. It might've hit other markets too, but I really think AU was the primary one.

Wasn't that case made exclusively for the Australian market?

Indeed the case reads "made in Australia", but I've found one of such C64 at a local flea market, and I don't think the original seller bothered to import it from down under to Italy in the old days :)

I know these were readily available in the USA because a friend of mine had one. He never did mail order so he had to buy it locally. They were a neat way to have the look of a C64c but still have the breadbin guts.

Heather

ISTR seeing ads in the backs of one of the old PC magazines in the early 90's about such replacement cases for the breadbox C64's. I want to say that they were around $20 - cheap enough that even my teenage self was thinking of getting one for my shiny, "new" C64 (purchased in 1993 from a fellow student). At that time, it would've meant quite a few issues of PC Computing, 2-3 PC Magazines, and any Computer Shopper that I could get my hands on, as they were cheap and provided near-infinite reading (never mind the drooling)

Dont think it was made exclusively for Australia. I recall seeing it advertised in US magazines. Was a way to get those Breadbin C64 owners to be able to make theirs look like the new sleek C64c models without having to buy a new C64 back when Commodore 64s were a lot more expensive than now when you can pick one up for $20.

I had one of those, in the Netherlands, so they were available in Europe as well. It was a relatively cheap conversion.

When I bought one of the later C64's with the then-new official slim line case, I swapped the case against an old style one with a friend of mine. Couldn't get used to the 'new' design.

Back